slight pressure in outdrive when putting it back together

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
I am putting my mercursier pre alpha back together after installing some new seals in the upper half. When I go to put the two halves together it goes together fine. when I take my hands off it it opens up about 1/8".It is no problem to push it together again but it pushes apart again. It only takes a few lbs pressure to close the gap. I am guessing the seals are a good fit and and there is air trapped where the lower driveshaft fits into the upper drive shaft. Will I have a problem if I just close it up like that?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: slight pressure in outdrive when putting it back together

Can you turn the driveshaft while it has the gap????Try turning it and it may close up.If not I would take it apart and make sure the old oring from the driveshaft is not stuck in the upper.Take a good look at everything and put it back together.If there is still a gap turn the shaft and if everything turns ok tighten it down and go.Charlie

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Rattana,<br />Did you try to assemble the housings with the filler or drain plugs out? This would eliminate case pressure as the cause.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Peter

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the ideas. I tried with both plugs out still pressure. After looking some more and reading the manual :rolleyes: It turns out there is the small preload pin on the end of the lower drive shaft. I thought it was a guide. :) It seems that the preload pin puts a slight preload on the driveshaft bearings. On the newer drives they reverse the sprial cut of the gears and that is what puts the preload on the drive bearings, and there is no need of the pin.

Bondo

Staff member

It's a Pre-Alpha.........<br />It's the Pre-Load Pin Pushing on it's Shaft.........<br /><br />It's Supposed to Do That..........

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bondo I was a little worried when I first felt the pin pushing on the shaft.