!&&#^#_(@$&#@ mice!!!

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Ok, so the weather has warmed up and I decided to get the compact tractor (John Deere 955) out. Put the battery back in (kept on a manitenance charger over the winter), hit the key and NOTHING. Open it up and, the wiring harness is a disaster from mice chewing on it and building a nest. (Multiple nests.)

Just getting the wiring harness out is going to take hours and when I called the John Deere dealer for a replacement harness he asked if I had an existing mortgagte on the farm. (Ok, not that bad but...)

I'm ready to go out and buy a truck load of poison and kill everyone of them in a three county area!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: !&&#^#_(@$&#@ mice!!!

Dang, now I'm too scared to go pull the cover off the boat.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My neighbor had that happen to her brand new ATV, it ended up costing her over $400 buck to get it fixed!

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

John Deere parts are usually outrageous. I think the parts dept. is their main income source.

Good tractors though.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe next year put a box of mothballs in there...I've heard they really hate moth balls!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I spread moth balls all over the garage every winter and it does make a big difference when it comes to mice and pack rats, they don't like the smell(neither do I) but they do work..

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

I spread moth balls all over the garage every winter and it does make a big difference when it comes to mice and pack rats, they don't like the smell(neither do I) but they do work..

You've smelled moth balls? How'd you get them to spread their legs? Do they get offended? (Just couldn't resist)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You've smelled moth balls? How'd you get them to spread their legs? Do they get offended? (Just couldn't resist)

2ccs18y.gif

I hate meeces to pieces........

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Bubba, just Hillbilly it. Ya know, get a bunch of shrinkable tubing and re-insulate all the wiring.

Yep, I saw that once and it worked.

aspeck

Staff member

If you put the mice in the hay bale, would that help control the burn rate and give more heat? :confused:

Oh, sorry, wrong thread ... ;):p:eek:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe some of the posters who recently had trouble w Feral cats, could trap and ship a box of them to you!!Ive heard of mice nesting deep in dashboards of autos $$$ and took months to figure out why the car stinks inside?!!

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe some of the posters who recently had trouble w Feral cats, could trap and ship a box of them to you!!Ive heard of mice nesting deep in dashboards of autos $$$ and took months to figure out why the car stinks inside?!!

Oh, man, have I got a story on that.

I've got a classic beater - 1989 Nissan single cab pickup, stick shift, 4 cylinder, half rust, runs like a champ. My uncle bought it brand new and I got it off him for $10, provided I went down to his lakehouse in Tenneessee to fix it and retrieve it. It had been sitting for a year or two and we knew there'd be mice problems. The heater ran but didn't blow out air so I figured they were holed up in the ducts.

BOY WAS I RIGHT!

After pulling the fan unit and all the lower ducting I pulled about a basketball's worth of nesting out of the damn thing! The worst part was, they had built a nest of DEAD PINE NEEDLES right on top of the heater core :eek: By sheer luck, the thermostat had long since kicked the bucket so the core never got hot, otherwise she would have gone up in flames on the highway.

I pulled the dash vents and lo and behold, another 1.5 basketball's worth of nesting was behind the dash, as well as 3 or 4 dead baby mice. Little bastards. My truck smells a lot better now though.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain, Bubba, but PLEASE don't put poison out where all sorts of wildlife can be killed by it. A much greener solution is to put up owl houses around the area and stock your shed with bull snakes.

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those darn mice got to my log splitter one year. I wasn't happy. Since then, I load up my workshop with moth balls. Spearmint oil works good too. I used to put that in my motorhome before I sold it.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of cheap mousetraps,baited w peanutbutter will act fast.They cannot get a dab off w/o springing the trap and they evidently smell it easily.And the dead mouse does'nt end up in a wall or other place it cant be retrieved easily.see stinky!!

JRJ

Commander

We keep d-con in the garage. Looking for the source of a fishy smell out there yesterday, found 1 doa mouse and a pound or so of d-con in the box with my new Honda generator :mad: Couldn't believe how much d-con the thing had stock piled :eek: Gen set appears undamaged, thank goodness :cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Mothballs and Downy sheets wherever you don't want mice. Worked so far for me !!!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

...stock your shed with bull snakes.

Then how do you kill the snakes?!? God...hate snakes...anything that moves that fast without feet is obviously a demon.

Lots of cheap mousetraps,baited w peanutbutter will act fast.They cannot get a dab off w/o springing the trap and they evidently smell it easily.

Then how do you get the mousetraps off of your own fingers when you're in the garage and a snack urge strikes? MMM...love peanut butter...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Fireman431 It takes just a small dab on the trigger,they will try to get all of it off and POP.They'll be plenty of PB left for you!Mice seem to find it irresitible also:)