Oops!! Broke post off throttle body...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Swapped out the t-stat last weekend on the 4.3L Mercruiser. Everything went ok until putting the flame arrester and cover back on the throttle body. Somehow, the bracket holding the screw post broke. I hadn't even snugged it, was just that weak.

Anyone out there have this happen before? Is there any easy ways to repair? I'm leaning toward JB weld, but wanted to check here first.

Thanks!!

photo[1].jpg

Daleg70

Seaman
Re: Oops!! Broke post off throttle body...

You can try JB weld, but I think maybe you are either in for jury rigging some new way to keep the flame arrestor on, or worse case, a new top for a carb.

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input, will give the 3m stuff a shot in the next week or two, and I like that idea of slapping some other metal on there for reinforcement.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`d avoid adding anything that can break off and get into the engine. remove the top of the carb and have it heli-arced or tig`d. I might have a good top laying around, pm me if interested.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just replace it. the motor costs way more to replace when something from the repair falls off and goes into the engine.

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be a blessing in disguise...I see unrestricted airflow!!!

Seriously though, couldn't you just safety wire the flame arrestor down? If you glue extra pieces on the side you run the risk of that falling into the engine like others have said, and probably won't be noticeable but your still slightly restricting air flow.....Bet it won't cost you more than $50 to get it welded up...if that much.

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm really not worried about any air restriction, but safety wire definitely isn't enough!! Does anyone know what kind of metal that is? I'm guessing an aluminum alloy of some sort (from memory as it''s not in front of me right now). Really, I was hoping someone had a simple 'trick', or "yea, it's happened on every other boat I've owned", or something... Maybe I'll just pull it and see what I can do with a brazing rod...

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Find a local shop that does carbs, they will probably have a top for your carb, looks like a Rochester 2G. They are an aluminum/zinc alloy a d just about impossible to weld.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Did a quick ebay search.. They are a dime a dozen.. You just need the air horn right? I would try that

I saw a used one on there going for 7.50 no reserve for the whole dang carb.. Man that is cheap parts..

Btw way that looks to be cast aluminum..

Status
Not open for further replies.