Cooling question for the EXPERTS

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I'm thinking of putting my boat on a lift.Thouble is there is no easy way to flush it after using.I boat in very salty water.Leaving that in my motors is something I don't want.

Is there a way to hook up a hose or adapter to these motors?
In the lift there ain't no way to reach the lower units(twins).

Thanks,Jerry3k83pd3o25O25T45W5a8ga84ff910c2a01620.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cooling question for the EXPERTS

As long as it is not a Mercury lower unit and midleg: IF you can get it out, most are stuck tight, there is a square headed 1/2 NPT pipe plug in the match plate just below the "dogleg" in the exhaust cover. If you can get it out, you can thread in a piece of 1/2 inch pipe through a hole you drill in the lower cowl. On the outside, put a female hose coupler and for running, make a male plug.

This will put fresh water into the block above the water pump and probably will also flush out the pump as well if you only crank over the engine without starting it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Frank,That's what I thought.These motors have been run in salt water only.So I doubt the valves are gonna come out.Thanks,Jerry

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, I think I know which plug that is.. so it can't be running if a hose is attached there, is it fighting the flow of the water pump?.. Also, if you could rig a recirculating system in the driveway using an external pump, you could flush the system as if it was a car engine. Has anyone ever tried using a "radiator" flush on an outboard? Run something thru there that actually dissolves and cleans the corrosion salt water leaves.

Bob List

PS. anybody got a spare piston ring for a 3.312" bore 125/50 hp Force? Rectangular style, not keystone.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

In theory you could open up the stainless steel screw at the top of the block and run white vinegar through it - but I'm not sure that you could block off the water outlets sufficiently to get it to fill up.

I've never tried muriatic acid on salt but I assume the reaction would be rigorous to remove a lot of the salt if you could do it somewhere where the fumes don't get you - maybe outside on a windy day :)

Whatever you use, remember to flush well with fresh water afterwards.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There is a product(I think) called salt away or something like that.If you really want to flush it out.
Where Franks talking about is the pressure reliefe valve.You can hook a hose to that spot and it would send water back to the impeller and to the motor.Take out the valve.You probably could run it while it's hooked up.Worst you could do is mess up the impeller.Go ahead and try it and post your results.
I 'm just interested in taking out the FRESH salt water.You should see what it turns into in a pump housing and a powerhead if you don't flush it.
My engines have been in salt water for a long time and I'm trying to make them last a lot longer.J

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, a big tub,such as half a 55 gallon drum, bout 5 gallons of vinegar, water, let 'er idle and recirculate the mixture.. rig a baffle to direct exh/water mix back into the drum.. like cleaning out the coffeemaker...

Bob