Electrical System

rmblack_jr

Cadet
I just purchased a 97 Premier Pontoon. The boat is in pretty good condition but the previous owner rarely used the boat so it just sat. I have taken the boat out several times and have experienced a few problems. Yesterday, the boat ran fine all day. At the end of the day all of the gauges died. The trim and the electronic ignition also had no power. The trim on the motor itself still worked and the motor was running before I turned if off because we were coming onto the sandbar.

I guess my question is what is the most likely problem of why all electrical items would stop working after the boat running for several hours. I did check the battery and it tested good. I have also had some problems with the radio on the boat until yesterday when I ran all new wires to the radio. When all electrical items stopped working yesterday the radio still worked. Is this a problem with the original wiring?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Electrical System

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

There are two essentially separate electrical systems in a boat: the one for the motor and the one for accessories like radios and fishfinders. The gauges are connected to the motor's electrical system through the ignition switch. The trim system is also part of the motor's system. I would start troubleshooting at the ignition switch.

rmblack_jr

Cadet

Thanks....being new to the boating world and iboats....i guess my question is where exactly should I start? at the motor itself?

rmblack_jr

Cadet

Nevermind...you are saying start with the actual electronic ignition....just look for issues with the wiring?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If you are saying the starter now does not work either, check the 20 amp fuse under the cowling. Power for the ignition switch comes from this fuse.

rmblack_jr

Cadet

bhile.....none of the gauges work. where is this fuse located under the cowling?

I really appreciate the help

NYBo

Admiral

You haven't told us what motor you have. I'm also not convinced the fuse is blown since the trim pump works at the motor switch. But knowing the year, make, and horsepower of the motor would help nail down the problem.

JohnnyFire

Seaman Apprentice

before you get too involved try taking a peice of wire and jump it from the GRND on the gauges and to the new ground you put on the radio or back to the Neg term on the batt.
and then a new peice from the power terminal of the the ign key switch to the batt (of course please place a 20 amp fuse inline here to prevent an electical fire incase the pos is grounded to the the hull.
if the gauges come back when you turn the key to the prestart pos then you have either a blown fuse on the motor or( most likely a damaged wire )