Transom Replacement Questions

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I have it stripped. Down to the motor and OD removal. All wiring and 27-yrs of add-ons removed from the transom.

Two Questions: I will be using (2) sheets of 3/4-inch plywood for the new transom.

1. How do I seal in between the sheets?
2. What should I be using to seal all the plywood?

1984 Starcraft 19-ft Islander / 140 HP, 3.0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Replacement Questions

Welcome to iBoats!
Most guys use Poly resin. Coat the ply with the resin paying close attention to the edges. When they are dry Coat the two inner sides and put a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass chopped strand mat (CSM) and clamp em togehter. When they're dry wrap em both in the csm AND the edges too!!!

Voila' you got yourself a Transom!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A lot of us Starcraft guys are just sealing everything with epoxy resin. I used it for the lamination as well. While adding glass is essential if you're using poly resin (as wood mentions above) it is somewhat optional with epoxy. However, adding glass would make the thing darn near bulletproof.

Friscoboater

Captain

The Poly works great, and so does the PL glue. When you use POLY you have a certain amount of time to work, and if you are a beginner, that can really be daunting. I have done it both ways.

Do a filter in the threads at the bottom for "number of replies" and it will show you the largest threads. Those are the ones that will have all the answers you are looking for. I also have two restorations in my signature that might help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not to discount any of the advice from wood or frisco, but I don't think either realized they were talking about a tin boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, EZ is CORRECTAMUNDO!!!!! Seems like I can't read the fine print nowadays. In that case, EZ is correct I would recommend Epoxy all the way. No mat needed. Paint or Varnish for UV protection if left uncovered but that's about it.

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. I am at that "overwhelmed" stage, and "what the He!! was I thinking" stage. Gotta take out the motor, OD, decking, foam, and redo all because the dimwit before me decided it was a good idea to replace some rivets in the hull with iron lags while proceeding to create a swiss cheese impersonation on the transom with the same lags. Can't wait to what the aluminum looks like behind that transom.

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any recommendations for brand names or types of Epoxy Resin?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What Kind of ply are you using ?

If its Marine grade then yup..just epoxy those puppies together.

If It is a rough grain ply..then I would mix a little cabosil in the mix.

YD.