broke the Tilt N' Trim Switch...

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm:...on my 1978 Johnson 85hp. I am talking about the switch on the control arm, at the thumb position. the "down" still works fine, but the "up" does not. I believe I pushed it in too far out of frustration and broke something.

I still have a working switch on the bow, but that won't work too well while underway;)......
I am thinking of just putting a switch in the dash of the boat next to the steering wheel rather than taking apart my control box to try and replace the rocker thumb switch.

My questions are, what do you think of this? Also, would it be as simple as pulling out a couple wires from the control box and connecting to a dash mount switch? Or, is there somehting simple I am not thinking of here?
Thanks in advance, I am always impressed with the knowledge in these forums!

D

DJ

Re: broke the Tilt N' Trim Switch...

The throttle/gear switch is still avaliable via BRP/OMC parts.

However, you can probably find a handle (switch included) on ebay.

Be careful, the control boxes changed about 1979-80.

You need the older version.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks DJ. Much appreciated! I'll have to check that out. Just out of curiosity, what did change on the control boxes? When I bought this boat, I did think it to be a tad bit odd there is an ignition switch on the dash that is disconnected, and the control box has its own ignition..I am wondering how to even find out how old my existing box is?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you could post a pic. Over the years a lot of this stuff has been "cobbled up".

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

control box 04-04-11.jpgThank ya! We got some rain coming down today in southern Oregon, so it's a bit dark, but here ya go:

D

DJ

That looks like thenewer version. You should be able to seprate the switch from the handle.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You'll have to take the control box off the boat and get to an allen screw on the back side to remove the handle. Once you get it off, take the handle apart from the back side and you'll get the switch out. Just follow the wires, take the connector hsg off and pull the switch out. Reverse operation to install new switch.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The up position of the switch in the handle is wired to a solenoid in the back of the boat on a 1978. Up movements require more current, so the solenoid takes that load instead of the handle switch. Before you buy a new switch, check to make sure the solenoid is still functioning/good. They tend to fail more than the control box trim switch.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wouldn't my switch on the bow also connected to the same solenoid? That switch still works in both the "up" and "down".

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so, wouldn't I be safe to rule out the solenoid since the bow control works fine?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Unless it is wired around that solenoid-direct to the motor. Have you done a continuity test on the trim switch on the control box handle in both the up and down position?

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't done the test because I was pushing it in when it failed in the "up", hence the face palm... DOH!! A self-induced PITA.