1985 Evinrude 2.6XP not charging

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks,
E235STLCOR
Trying to chase down this last gremlin in this motor. I believe there are a couple of issues here including, wrong parts for the year, superceeding part numbers, and bad parts altogether.

The Motor runs great, no issues there. However, it doesn't charge, nor does the tach work now. The tach worked for about 2 years after I got the motor, but a couple of weeks ago it stopped. Now it goes up to about 1100 RPMS at idle(on the hose) and when you give it gas it goes back down to 0.

Now here is where I'm confused. I understand that it probably need a new rectifier/regulator but I'm confused on what part number to look for.

I've looked it up in the parts diagram and it calls for a omc # 395391
The part number that is on there now is a omc #583268
I also have a omc #583076 That I have tried and it doesn't work either.

So I looked at the stator to see if it might be bad and it has an omc# 581987 on it. I'm not even sure this is the right stator becuase the book calls for an omc# 582867 The tach works if I move the tach signal over to the yellow stator wire.

So what is the issue? Is it just a bad regulator/rectifier or do I have wrong parts or what? I'm nearly out of money with this thing and I just want it to charge so I don't have to worry about it running down anymore when I'm out. Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

D

DJ

Re: 1985 Evinrude 2.6XP not charging

Loose battery connections (ENGINE BLOCK AND BATTERY) are #1. Engine block connections are frequently overlooked/ignored. They are CRUCIAL to older OMC's.

Rectifiers are the second most common culprit of a no tach./no charge situation.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is not unusul for tachs to act up as yours is when that rectifier/regulator starts to go bad. Likely stopped charging at the same time the tach started to act up. The early 2.6 engines had a 9 amp stator and a simple rectifier with a separate small voltage regulator. Your 85 model has the improved (huge) 35 amp alternator with the vented flywheel. Your engine takes a water cooled combination rectifier/ regulator, original part 395391, which supercedes to 395204. Bombardier stocks that part-a little pricey at $ 295. I'd be inclined to replace that rectifer/regulator rather promptly as those 35 amp rec/reg have been known to catch on fire when they go bad.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is why I think it has some parts on it wrong. It doesn't have a vented flywheel on it. it has the old style (silver looking) flywheel. Also it has a omc part number 581987 Stator, which I believe is a 9 amp stator not 35 amp. So is it possible that someone switched over to the older 9 amp system at some point? if so can I use the simple rectifier and seperate regulator? Still trying to figure this little thing out...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure it is an 85? The 83 2.6's used that smaller stator with the standard non-vented flywheel. They used a simple rectifier and a separate voltage regulator. The original rectifier 582399 supercedes to 583408, about $50 or so. The separate regulator is the same number, 173640 and is around $ 175.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im assuming it is an 85 only going by the tag on the transom mount. I guess its possible that its a 83 or 84 who knows what the previous owners did to it. It definately has a water cooled rectifier on it now. It has never charged since I have owned it. However the tach did work for a while. The coils and the packs are part numbers from an 85. But the stator is definately a 9 amp and it doesnt have the vented flywheel. What do you suggest? Will a water cooled rectifier work with a 9 amp stator?

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

something else,

When I go to shop.evinrude.com and look up parts for this model number it gives me a 10 amp and a 35 amp flywheel and stator. Is it possible that there were both for that year?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible someone was racing that engine-no reason to lug around a 35 amp alternator if you don't need it...Also possible that the original magnets became a problem in that vented flywheel. These early ones were glued in and would occasionally come loose, causing all sorts of problems/damage to the stator, etc. The prior owner may have found it cheaper to use 9 amp replacement parts.