converting pre alpha to alpha

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi people,new guy here with a question. I just accuired a 76 searay srv 200 with a 351 233 merc, got a good deal because there was no stern drive and engine was lock up. Fixed the engine problem,also converted the old 2bbl carb and intake to a 4 bbl if that makes a difference, now need to fix the outdrive problem. Was going to use pre alpha, but a friend suggest I simply use a alpha instead. I talked to someone else about this and they said I might run into some problems with the cooling system, that the alpha stern drive and the gimbal housing are different sizes for the water passage. <br /><br />Any info would be help, thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: converting pre alpha to alpha

they said I might run into some problems with the cooling system, that the alpha stern drive and the gimbal housing are different sizes for the water passage.
I've Mixed & Matched a Bunch of Mod.1s,+ Alpha 1s.....<br />Never had That Problem..........<br /><br />Make Sure you use the Right Length Drive Shaft......<br />Not sure which 1 You want.....<br />There's 1 a little over 8",+ 1 a little over 9"........<br />Using an 8" in a 9"appl. will work for a Short Time..... Then the Coupler Strips......<br />Of Course,<br />Using a 9" in an 8"appl. Won't Bolt Up.......<br /><br />Good Luck...<br />And Check out the Alphas here at iboats....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Good web page, but no mention of the "MR", the transition from "R" to "Alpha One".

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys. And Bondo is there a way to measure out from the end of the coupler to a point, or will I need to look in a manual to find the correct input shaft lenght.<br /><br />Thanks again.