1978?? Johnson 70 steering issue...

poisonarrow

Recruit
I have an old console bass boat with a 70 hp Johnson, I think 1978 model. My kids pushed it out of the garage and the motor was not tilted so it dragged. Put the boat on the water yesterday and the steering would not turn at all, dont know if this is due to the motor dragging or not. I have looked at everything and do not see anything bent. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and have a great day!

D

DJ

Re: 1978?? Johnson 70 steering issue...

PROBABLY not related. Post some pic's of your engine. Especially the steering set up.

poisonarrow

Recruit

Will do DJ. I just loosened the steering cable, works smooth. It seems like the cylinder, shock type, linkage thingy, not sure what to call it, that holds the top of the motor on is froze. I am kinda thinking the grease has a lot of dirt in it....looks pretty nasty. Tried to pull it loose but it seems that the steering cable may be made on to this part. Could not see how to disconnect cable? Hoping I can figure out a way to clean inside out, or do I need to replace it? Thanks!

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just loosened the steering cable, works smooth. It seems like the cylinder, shock type, linkage thingy, not sure what to call it, that holds the top of the motor on is froze. I am kinda thinking the grease has a lot of dirt in it....looks pretty nasty.

The thinging is called a tilt tube. They get rusted on the inside. The cable runs thru the tilt tube and ussually you will need to remove the engine to get the cable out of the tube.

Try spraying lubricant in the tube the best you can until it frees up.....if not repace the cable. A bad steering cable is dangerous. If it snaps or fails while your vessel is underway you will loose control of your vessel.

poisonarrow

Recruit

Yea I have been doing a little research, learning more about this. The cable is stuck in the tilt tube. Would it be ok to put a little heat on the tikt tube to try to get the cable out? Then I guess I can try cleaning everything.