1990 Sea Nymph Striper Project

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Newbie her! Been lurking around for awhile thought I might post my project.
Bought a 1990 Center console that I knew needed a deck, some of the old deck was removed and some scabbed over. All using 3/4 treated :eek:. I've stripped out the old deck, along the way i took a couple pics of the scab job.

Attachments

• DSC00572.jpg
    DSC00572.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00573.jpg
    DSC00573.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00574.jpg
    DSC00574.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00575.jpg
    DSC00575.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00576.jpg
    DSC00576.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Sea Nymph Striper Project

Welcome! We love tinnies here. Yeah that's real pro work there :p I'd definitely strip it completely down, Gluvit the rivets and seams, and build it back up with the correct materials. Good luck with your project.

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

Gluvit? Never heard of that, is that some sort of caulk or sealer? I do intend on tightning up some rivets that leak. I had planned on leaving the tank and foam intact, is that a bad idea?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's a clear epoxy with an etching primer built in making it ideal for sealing aluminum boats. Even if you had a dry boat (which I did) it's nice insurance against future leaks. We've pretty much made it standanrd procedure as part of any restore. It's fairly expensive but a quart was able to do my 18'. This is what it looks like applied http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2258.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

The boat will be much lighter with all the old wood and waterlogged foam removed.:)

What size is the boat? We had a '86 20 footer when I was a kid, very nice boats.

Great opportunity to get some Gluvit in there and keep the boat dry for years to come.

Good luck to ya!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Ozdog! Sea Nymph's are awesome rigs! Man, the po sure left ya a mess. The good news is you can have that hull gutted and ready for rebuild in no time.

Cheers!

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

Well, it on the way back together! Most of the deck is in with the exeption of the casting deck and the removable center section over the fuel tank.
Went with the marine grade Fir and the poly resin coating of the sheets. Deck surface will be Nautolex deck vinyl.
I took a couple pics with my phone, sorry the quality isn't the greatist.
Here is the progress thus far.
0410111821.jpg0410111819.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You'll like the Nautolex. I'm a big fan of mine.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news though, you got the wrong resin. Poly has no strength without glass and won't hold up well without cracking. Epoxy, however, will. You could either add a glass layer...or pretend you didn't read this :p

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

You'll like the Nautolex. I'm a big fan of mine.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news though, you got the wrong resin. Poly has no strength without glass and won't hold up well without cracking. Epoxy, however, will. You could either add a glass layer...or pretend you didn't read this :p

OS!
I'm gonna have to go with the ladder, I do believe it was poly resin. Not enough research, a short falling on my part. In any case it should be better that sealer or primer?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

eh I guess it's better than nothing. Should at least help keep your vinyl adhesive from getting soaked into the wood. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Nautolex is TOUGH and will provide a nice amount of protection for your deck itself.

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know JS about fiberglass! The deck should hold up, I'm a little worried what will happen when somebody drops a 8 LB downrigger ball on it.
Yes the Nautolex is good stuff. I used on my Starcraft Islander when I replaced that deck. Oddly, the Starcraft even with the dual console & cabin was more friendly to dismantle & re-do. Some of the manufacturing on the Sea Nymph seems a little backwards.

Definatly gonna need some advise and ideas when the cast deck goes back in, the dual livewells were decked over & I have no idea about what to do about the hatches. I'll post up pics when we get there.