15-hp. evinrude no top end

bunkerhill

Recruit
I have just finished the reconstruction of my grandfathers old 14.5 Richline V-bottom boat I have a 1998 evinrude 15hp on the boat which should be more that enough to push it. The motor runs like a top in the drum but when I put it in the lake and give it fuel it feels like its running half throttle, wont even plane the boat out good the prop on it is a 9.5 X12.5 which I can,t even find as an option. the motor is getting fuel it has a new pump,lines, and tank, the motor was given to me so I don't know its history or how it preformed in the past any suggestions.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 15-hp. evinrude no top end

Welcome to iboats.

You just described a classic case of dirty carb, most likely main jets, htey are in the bottom of the float bowl behind the drain screw and are the first thing to plug if anything gets in the carb.

You need to actually remove and clean by hand with a stranded copper wire and some Sea Foam, also use some of the air in a can to blow out the rest of the carb and I wouldn't run the engine any more until you get this fixxed, the only oil the engine gets is from the gas and if yu have a bad carb that cylinder isn't getting any oil.

kbait

Commander
Re: 15-hp. evinrude no top end

Check spark w/a tester. You need 1/4" blue bolt in open air to equate to proper spark at .030 plug gap under compression. That motor will run surprisingly smooth on only one cylinder, but no top end. If you find spark on only one side, swap coils and if the good spark swaps sides, you have a bad coil/ground.