no spark

boatin12

Seaman Apprentice
hi all i have a 1975 85hp evinrude and im not gettin any spark on the right two cylinders any ideas? :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: no spark

Usually caused by a faulty timing sensor in the timer base under the flywheel. Check your manual for the proper ohm reading of the sensors. One fire the port bank, the other fires the starboard bank.

boatin12

Seaman Apprentice

Usually caused by a faulty timing sensor in the timer base under the flywheel. Check your manual for the proper ohm reading of the sensors. One fire the port bank, the other fires the starboard bank.

will i need to replace the whole timer base or just the sensor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The whole timer base. Take your timer base leads off of the pack on the side that has spark and transfer them to the side that doesn't. If you have spark then, it's the timer base. If not it's mostly likely the pack. Or two bad coils, but that's unlikely.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Excellent test procedure suggestion from Boobie. Eliminates any need for test equipment.

boatin12

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for your help ran the test as boobie said seems I will need a new timer base this is not a cheap fix anyone know where to get one for a decent price?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

An engine that old..... good used timer bases should be plentiful at dealerships and the regular outboard repair shops for a small fraction of the new price.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can also check the top secret files at the top of this forum for salvage yards.