Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 Starter problems

bkryzak

Recruit
I have a Bayliner 185 with a Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha1 Inboard/Outboard and when I turn the ignition switch It sometimes start and other times the starter will just click. If I keep turning the key on and off sooner or later it will kick over. I cleaned the battery terminals and made sure the wires on the starter are tight. Is this caused by the ignition switch or is it the Starter?

wbrannies75

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 Starter problems

I had the same prob, so I changed the ignition solenoid, thinking it was that, but it wasn't. Dont get me wrong, it could be your problem. Long story short, it was a wire that came off in my starter, so had it rebuilt and that fixed it.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

So as to not to go into a lengthy explaination and to further your education on this issue click on the adults only section @ the top of this forum and all the troubleshooting information for this issue is contained in this thread. but it's a good indication that the starter has some underlying problems.

bkryzak

Recruit

Is there any way to test the ignition switch and the starter?

wbrannies75

Cadet

Thats nice rickryder, wish I had that a month ago, :)

bkryzak

Recruit

Thank You this should help. I will let you know. I hope it is the ignition switch and not the starter.