Need to order gauges

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to order three gauges for my DT 55 (1997) Suzuki. First, I'd like to get a Teleflex tachometer from I Boats, but do I need a tach specific to this engine or will any tach work? Original equipment was a multi-guage that just showed an over rev limit, while I would like to know the actual rpms. Will the sender on the motor work with a new tach or will I need to order a motor specific tach and sender?

On the voltmeter, I have a choice between a battery condition indicator or a volt meter. I assume that either will work and will only require a simple hookup to the positive and ground in the console. Any real difference between the two?

I'd like to add a water temp gauge. Again, if I just order any Teleflex, will it work with the sending unit on the Suzi or will I need a matching sender?

Tried to call I Boats help line, but no one there on a Sunday. I can try again Monday or see if someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for any assistance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need to order gauges

1) Tachometers don't require a sending unit. The tach gets its signal from the charging system. A generic tach from Teleflex or Faria will work. Set the adjustment dial on the back of the tach for the number of pulses from your engine. That is probably 6 pulses for a 12 pole stator.

2) Voltmeters and battery condition (% of charge) although similar really tell you two different things. A battery condition indicator tells you in percentage, how charged the battery is. It does not tell you if the charging system on the engine is actually charging the battery. A voltmeter tells you static (engine off) as well as engine running voltage. With the engine running, anything over about 13 volts says the battery is charging. Less than 12.6 says it is not. Understand however that if you have a 20 amp load (such as a high power stereo) and the alternator output is only 6 Amps, the voltmeter very likely will show less than 12.6 volts since the accessory is using more power than the alternator puts out. Therefore the voltmeter is more valuable than the battery condition gauge. They are typically used more effectively on trolling motor batteries.

The temperature sender for a temperature gauge must match that gauge so buy both when you buy the gauge. Also understand that your engine has a temperature "switch" which is nothing more than an on-off switch and therefore cannot be used with a gauge. Gauges depend on a variable resistance "sender" to translate varying engine heat into a varying voltage at the gauge. The temperature switch is designed to close (make contact) when a certain engine temperature is reached. It is used to turn on the alarm buzzer or an indicator light.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks so much So I dont need a sender for the tach,, just hook it to the12 volt line? Same for the voltmeter. I wont be hooking up any gauge internal lights,dont run in the dark. Seems too simple!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

thanks so much So I dont need a sender for the tach,, just hook it to the12 volt line? Same for the voltmeter. I wont be hooking up any gauge internal lights,dont run in the dark. Seems too simple!

Tachometers have four connections: 1) +12 volts when the key is on, 2) ground, 3) Sense (that's the connection to the tach sense (not sender) signal from the charging system. THIS IS NOT A 12 volt line. 4) The internal light.

#1, #2 and #4 can all be connected to the corresponding connections on any other gauge. The sense line is built into the engine harness and there should be a pigtail at the control box to connect to.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

SILVERTIP just ordered two voltmeters. Going to put one on the 12 volt line from the main, the other on the battery(12) volt from the 9.9 Yammy troling motor. Question, Can they share a common ground or should I keep both isolated and seperate.?? Can do either, am leaning towards seperate because the 9.9 battery runs my accessories (very limited draw, fish finder,s to s radio, downrigger

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks hope I get to buy you a beer someday

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Last October you would have had a chance. I was in Albuqurque. But you can put a case of O'Douls Amber on a truck and send it up thank you.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm betting you weren't in ABQ on boating business, more likely aviation. Still having tach issues and cant find the answers in either of my service manuals,feel like an idiot, None of the colors jive, This 96 Suz DT 55 had idiot lights instead of real gauges, all on a single combo gauge. One was an (over rev) light .I want to install a tach but cant find a sender or sensing wire to hook the tach to and the over rev light comes through a polarized diode. where does the tach sense come from? If I can find the origin on the motor (if there is one) I can run it down. Worth two cases of O'd

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The tach signal comes from the stator on the engine. The stator is under the flywheel and consists of two parts. 1) It provides power for the IGNITION system on the engine. 2) The second part of the stator is the CHARGING windings. It provides the AC (alternating current) that the RECTIFIER changes to DC (direct current) for battery charging purposes. Since there is a pair of leads (perhaps yellow) on that engine going into the RECTIFIER, try running a temporary connection from either of those to the "s" terminal on the tach. I'm not a Suzy expert but the rectifier may be part of the rectifier/regulator (both components in one assembly) if it is a regulated charging system. Those two stator wires would still feed the rectifier circuit however. Those two wires may also connect to a terminal strip and then the rectifier would be connected to the strip as well. Remember -- the tach also needs +12 volts and ground to operate. If it is not present with the key on -- fix it. If the tach now works, find the wire at the input side of the rectifier that is also fed by one of the yellow wires. That would likely be the tach signal. Then look for that same wire color at the other end of the ENGINE harness near the control box. The real solution to your problem is to get a schematic for your specific engine.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

have two schematics,but couldnt sort it out since they dont show a tach lead for the DT55, just the warning light wireing,, but-- I backtracked from your instructions and found the right lead. THANK YOU

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Just got a Faria cylinder head temp gauge with the sender, costed like $40 and was easy as heck to install. Just bolt the sender to the top of the head using a head bolt, run a wire from that to the gauge...link the gauge to the ignition circuit, run a neg wire and a positive for the light. It turns on when you swith the key on and is right on accurate. I heard Teleflex makes the same kind of system. Also...if you have a depth/fishfinder make sure you don't already have a voltage gauge on there. I have a Humminbird 535 and it does. Mine usually shows 12.2V with motor off, and 12.6-13.0V while running. Saves money on buying a gauge and is digital. It's in the option menu and can be set to show up under the water temp and depth.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

found all the right leads and the teleflex tach arrived today. Will drop it in tomorrow but, small problem. This thing is reading 1500 rpm IN THE BOX!!!??? Instructions do mention that the unit should read zero when 12 volts is applied. Should i drop it in and hope it corrects or ship it back?? Is that normal??

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

anybody have a tach in the box they can look at and see if its at zero??