Ungrateful obtainers of FREE help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttugrad

Seaman
I am new to this forum and pretty new to boating. For fun I look around the posts for interesting information that I might use in the future as I have been a motor and mechanical tinkerer for as long as I can remember.

I have noticed a trend that people seem to think that they are entitled to the help they are getting from those more experienced. This especially holds true when the posters do something stupid and wreck their gear: the more experienced rib them about it but still give helpful information and they seem to be too thin skinned to take the ribbing along with the pertinent technical advice.

Everyone makes mistakes; many of them in retrospect are STUPID mistakes. Anyone who has ever been through an apprentice program well knows that part of the learning from those who have mastered the trade is taking teases for the dumb and not so dumb mistakes made along the way. Put on your big boy panties and say thank you for the help you are getting only because those who know what they are doing have the grace to share their knowledge. If you can?t take a little ribbing in the process take your rig to a mechanic. When you are paying them to diagnose and repair your problem you don?t have to take any rude comments.

You don?t have the right to free help my fellow Mainers. If you take a little ribbing along the way consider it money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ungrateful obtainers of FREE help!

I agree. Our fellow Mainers are not entitled to fee help without a needle or two. :)

I don't think, however, that the needles need to be foul language.

ttugrad

Seaman

I agree..in my defense I did use *&^% in place of the actual word.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree..in my defense I did use *&^% in place of the actual word.

Ummmmm. Not. Replacing one letter in a foul, 4 letter word with an * is not using *&^%.

Now you type, "Thanks for the advice, JB. I will be more polite in the future." :)

D

DJ

The least appreciated advice is free.

Most people don't heed, or appreciate, the advice they pay for either.

ttugrad

Seaman

Thanks for the advice, JB. I will be more polite in the future.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I learned this leason a long time ago and still due from time to time. Thank you goes a long way and is just the right thing to do especially when asking. This is something I tell all my kids and will stand true forever with everyone." knowledge is priceless and is something knowone can take away from you".
Everything I know about boats and thier upkeep I have learned here from some very gracious members and has served me well for over 5yrs, now and I do appricieate evey bit of it.

bigdee

Commander

Works both ways....the one's giving advice should be thankful to those that ask. ?To teach is to learn twice? There is no such thing as a self-made man, we are made up of thousands of others.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So who said or didn't say what to your contributing post???

Not everyone has the time for the "praising" and "back slapping" ritual... if someone benefited from your info, that should be more than enough praise!!!

We are all here to help each-other!

... if you want to be singled out and praised, you should make mention of it in your signature or something.:rolleyes:

... something like: All praise, compliments, and well wishes will be immediately sent to my ego to bolster my "self-esteem"!!!:rolleyes:

D

DJ

I don't think anyone expects praise, or even a Thank You for that matter.

It would be nice if the results of advice were posted more often. That just adds to the overall base of knowledge to the entire board.

j_martin

Admiral

FWIW, I've noticed that those who seem to resent being helped seldom come back and say what actually fixed their problem in the end. I know it's embarassing to admit you bought a lot of expensive but unneeded and unreturnable parts, but man up and help the knowledge base.

There are some exceptions, and after minimal good natured hazing, they become a vital part of the community.

ttugrad

Seaman

Heck, I am too new at this to offer much technical assistance! :p

The one that sent me over the edge was a guy that broke a connecting rod by running his engine at WOT even though he admittedly heard some "strange noises" comming from the motor. He didn't know what was wrong, posters helped him correctly diagnose the problem but gave him a little heck for his decision to stress the motor. This guy din't thank anyone that helped him correctly diagnose his problem but did take the time to tell off all that ribbed him..I thought it was rude.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is a normal event here and we just get used to it.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Kinda like sitting around a campfire with a bunch of guys. Rude behavior is tolerated, but "Crude" behavior is not. I agree with Bob, "we just get used to it".

puddle jumper

Captain

One thing I have learned in the real world is people seldom say thanks when things go right and only hear from them when they don't.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

One thing I have learned in the real world is people seldom say thanks when things go right and only hear from them when they don't.

Reminds me of the old saw that goes: When I do good nobody notices and when I screw up nobody forgets.
Mike

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, numerous people give the same or similar advice and the requester of assistance disagrees with the advice given !!! (the "can I tow a 30ft boat with a Ford Focus" ones are usually the most amusing)
Part and parcel of responding to some folk, and yes you just get used to it in the end.

ttugrad

Seaman

One of the biggest problems in this country if you ask me. Everyone wants something for free and believes it is their right to have it.

I am a teacher by trade and insist on "please" and "thank you." Basic common courtesy in my book, especially when someone goes out of the way to try and help you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

One of the biggest problems in this country if you ask me. Everyone wants something for free and believes it is their right to have it.

I am a teacher by trade and insist on "please" and "thank you." Basic common courtesy in my book, especially when someone goes out of the way to try and help you.

Thank you for teaching which can be a tough job!! Since you teach, you are exposed to how important parenting and life skills are to molding our society......... WELL....... their parents have boats and post on iboats!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.