Cabin sliding door.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 2001 Monterey 302 Cruiser. There is a problem that I thought I could solve but I have failed.:mad:

The sliding door going down to the cabin is stiff. It opens OK but still somewhat difficult but when you try to close it is more difficult.

I have flushed the track with high pressure water from the hose and lubed it with silicon and it works OK for a day or so then starts getting hard to close/open again.:(

I understand that the wheels/track sometime wear out. Is there an easy way to get to the tracks/wheels and replace them if necessary? I have tried to figure out how they got the door in but looks like they installed it in the production phase and there is no way to replace it. But that does not make any sense and is not logical.

Anyone figured out how keep this working well?:confused:

HELP!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cabin sliding door.

Ayuh,... Donno 'bout your's,...
But, Generally speakin', you lift up on the door, pull the bottom outa the track, 'n remove the door...

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are soooo many ways the manufactures install these doors we need a photo (a couple) of yours.

Thanks for the comments so far. The door just does not lift and remove, or so it appears. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Later today!

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

some things are just built in and covered up. If it will not come out unless you tear up the frame etc. Maybe you can feel back in the door with a wire and locate the roller. Then figure out how to make a small tube to get some oil to it. same on the other end of door. Maybe even drill a small hole and spray it with WD-40.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. if you can figure out how to take this out or to make it slide freely, please let me now. It works but I don't want to spend a couple of hours each weekend making it work freely.

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 5

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can't remember which way mine was. About 3 years ago I took it off to free it up. It was either a couple of blocks on the outer edge of the upper rollers that had to be removed, or there was a screw on all four rollers that adjusted the play of the rollers. Had to back them off on the bottom to get enough room to remove the door. Most likely the latter. Seems it was a PITA to get to, and was done from the cabin. Look inside the track at the doors, there should be a screw head. I'm sure there will be a lot more input as the weather warms up and the boats come out of storage. Still in the 40's around here.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

WD40 is a good cleaner but does not last- Silicon attracts dust.
Spray tracks with furniture polish(lemon pledge) an open & close to spread around.
like on a table top ( synthetic) wax solids will bond to the surface materials and slide easier.\

Lithium Grease & others are too messy.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WD40 is a good cleaner but does not last- Silicon attracts dust.
Spray tracks with furniture polish(lemon pledge) an open & close to spread around.
like on a table top ( synthetic) wax solids will bond to the surface materials and slide easier.\

Lithium Grease & others are too messy.

Thanks for the suggestion. Furniture polish is a great idea. What exactly do you mean by wax solids? Candle wax?:confused:

I did find two screws were loose on the bottom of the door today. Once tightened, it worked better but will clean it tomorrow and use the furniture polish idea.

That is one reason that this is such a great site. So many different experiences shared!!!:)

BTW, I see you are in Grapevine. I moved the boat from Grapevine to Lake Lewisville in February. Its previous name was "Loan A Ranger" in Silver Creek Marina(?) I think.

Another question, how are the ranks under the names gotten? I have looked but can not find a reference to it. So many post or what?

Boobie Trap.....good night!;)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

If spray lube works for a short while,then what you need to do is CLEAN the track.Lube the heack out of it and get an old teeshirt and wipe the track in every nook and notch.Use a screwdriver to wipe the fabric into every corner.Make sure you clean the top of the track also.Take a flashlight and look for the small trucks that the door drives on.The wheels pop off sometimes.Doesent sound like you will be able to get them back on anyway but at least you can lube them.Buy some synthetic lube like super lube or slick 50 spray lube,it will last much longer.Been there ,done that.Charlie