Waterpump problem

AceyDeucey

Cadet
Hi guys, I've got a 1979 Merc 700. Serial # 4574056 and have found water getting into the lower unit.
Bought a waterpump kit, Pulled off the leg, got the top off the waterpump but can't get the waterpump base out.
The manual says that there could be a drain screw to be removed first or a threaded hole to lift the base up. I have neither.
Manual says to prise the base up using a couple of screwdrivers, I can't get it to budge but I definately want to get it out to replace the gaskets and seals underneath.
Has anybody got any hints as to how to remove the waterpump base without damaging anything?

AceyDeucey

Cadet
Re: Waterpump problem

Got it!
Got the missus onto a couple of screwdrivers while I carefully levered the thing up. Don't think this thing had ever been removed.
Anyone else finding this problem in future - keep trying forcefully yet carefully, it'll come up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Waterpump problem

AC, The most important seal is the driveshaft seal in the waterpump base. Be sure to replace it. Usually we just buy a new WP base. It comes with the seal, and is about the same cost.