1992 Evinrude 15 HP - Need Help On Conversion

muskybob

Cadet
I'd like to convert a 1992 15hp Evinrude from tiller steering to cable steering, shift/throttle cables. I have the steering all set, but am having trouble finding the correct shift/throttle cables. I tried this: http://www.boatersland.com/tel-cc20511.html but the ends that attach to the motor are too long. I need a shorter motor connection, such as what was on the tiller control arm. The 1992 Evinrude model number is E15EENM Anyone have any idea where I can get the shift/throttle cables that will fit? Thanks for any help. Bob

PS: The type of connection for the throttle is the one on the bottom.

Attachments

• dcp_1126.jpg
    dcp_1126.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0

Felony13

Recruit
Re: 1992 Evinrude 15 HP - Need Help On Conversion

Hey Musky! EDIT Thanks!

Please review our rules, Felony13. We do not allow soliciting private transactions or posting personal contact data. It is also bad form to hijack old, dead threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwcove

Admiral

this could apply to your situation, but maybe not.

Remote Controls : These motors were designed to be also used with remote controls. There appears to have been 2 different OMC "Remote Control Adapter Kits. (1) #386660 & (2) # 398032. These kits are only the adapters to the motor & did not include the cables or control lever box. The throttle cable is ran thru the hole that normally is occupied by the kill button, & is attached to a peg located on the timing plate linkage rod. On #398032, the kill button is moved over into the position under the RH front lower upper cowling where the starter button would have been. The starter button is not be used in this case as if it was electric start, the starter switch would have been on the shift/throttle control box. The #386660 kit is pictured below with it's illustrated installation sheet. Here the kill button is moved to a new aluminum bracket that is bolted into the 2 existing holes on the front.

The throttle cable was ran under the manual starter spool & attached to the peg on the vertical control shaft to the timing plate. The twist grip handle was designed to be lifted into the up position, which disengaged the cog teeth of the drive gears, allowing the cable to function without removing the twist grip unit. This however creates problems when the motor is not operated with cables if the operator is unaware of the situation, as described later in this article. The angle that the tiller handle is mounted on the upper housing allows the handle to tip out & away from the motor for clearance. If you snap the rubber cover off, & raise the handle, you can see that the higher the handle is raised the farther disengaged the gears become as the throttle handle's twist shaft is not on the same plane as the intermediate shaft that the mating gear is on.

The shifting cable was attached to the 2 plugged holes on the RH front side of the lower motor cowling. And the cable end was attached to the upper hole in the shifter handle by a spring loaded twist pin. The control cables must be type (OS) that means the plastic ends are molded on, not bolted.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread was started (and died of neglect) in April, nwcove. OP has not been on since 4/3/11. The hijacker fooled you into thinking it was active.