25 Horse Johnson recoil

jigemup

Cadet
I have a 25 horse Jonhson Pull-start that is really slow to recoil. Any Ideas?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25 Horse Johnson recoil

Pull it off and clean it really good.probably old grease with debrie sand dirt clodded up in it.I use white lithium grease just a small amount after a good cleaning. Engine degreaser works pretty good.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You can also wind the spring up a turn or two if that doesn't work. But wear safety goggles whenever working with that spring!

kbait

Commander

I've removed recoil and squirted a bit of pb blaster in the holes where you see the spring and pull it a bunch of times. If it frees up nicely, I add a bit of white lithium grease to the spring through the same holes and use it. It's kind of a stop-gap, but it can un-gum the old grease and make it functional. It should be disassembled/cleaned/lubed lightly to do the job correctly, but there's nothing that can really break by quick-fixing it.

D

DJ

You can also wind the spring up a turn or two if that doesn't work. But wear safety goggles whenever working with that spring!

DON'T MESS WITH IT other than cleaning and lubricating.

If that spring lets go it's like trying to stuff wet cats into a bag to replace it.:eek:

jigemup

Cadet

I use this boat in cold weather that is below freezing. Is OK to run that recoil without grease?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm in minnesota and thats why white lithium grease,dont clean and not grease you will then next time have to replace one rusted together spring.