1984 Evinrude 90hp Tilt & Trim problem

NCmiller

Cadet
I have a 1984 Evinrude 90 HP with T&T. The original T&T's manifold assemble has a hole in it that corroded through. Instead of repairing it I bought a used T&T unit that was operating good. It would tilt up and down fine, but the wiper seals were cracked on the trim cylinder and the two tilt cylinders. So before installing on my engine, I ordered seal kits for the T&T and the Tilt Cylinder to replace on this T&T unit.
Using a OMC manual, I carefully disassembled the trim cylinder and replaced the wiper seal and o-ring on the PISTON ROD ASSY. I also replaced the seals on the PISTON HEAD ASSY.
I then removed the END CAPS on the trim cylinders. I replace the wiper seals & o-rings on the TRIM ROD ASSY's. Then I replaced the o-rings on the TRIM ROD HEAD ASSY's.
After carefully reassembling the trim and tilt cylinders, I connected a battery and attempted to operate the T&T up and down. In the up direction, the trim rods will extent one at a time, but the tilt rod will not extend. Then operating the T&T in the down direction, the trim rods will retract one at a time, then the tilt rod will slowly start moving up.
I cycled the T&T up/down may times, filling the reservoir when it was low. Still the T&T will not operate correctly now.
Do you have any suggestions? I am not sure why this unit would just stop working when all I did was replace some seals that were failing.

Thanks, Tom