how's your summerizeing going, mines goes good so far

ziggy

Admiral
how's your summerizing going. what do you have to do to get your thing together? i been getting onto mine the last two days. time to get my stuff together. summerizing i mean. man. went mighty smooth so far. though it is time consuming. and i start with a winterized boat. much pm has been done prior to the new season.
i start with a striped out boat. nothing in it. so it takes me a good couple to three hours to put the stuff back where it belongs. + try stuff out too. vhf. stereo etc. this year. i use a base item list i made up. so far so good.
my drive was serviced over the winter. so hopefully all is good. it's back in place. that leaves the engine. i winterized w/ air this last season. all appears good. no water where it shouldn't be. so far. 1st run will confirm to me i'm hip. anyways. took a few trys to get her to fire up this season. not unusual i guess. suspect the carb fuel bowl evaporates a bit and leaves me dry for a moment. so nothing done to it other than shine up the points and she fired up. good. no block cracks. better yet. so far. lay a minor tune up on her. sweet. rotor, points, plugs (ngk br6fs) condenser. got a cap and fuel filter on order though the fuel filter is new as of last fall. a spare. oem only. no fuel water separator. man, on the hose she starts up like a fuelie. sweet.
with luck i'm gonna splash her tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfm7HglIOI&feature=related

Last edited:

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: how's your summerizeing going, mines goes good so far

Not @ it just yet Zig but I will add that this to is the 1st year I winterized the block with just air and am a little perinoid hoping for the best if all goes well it will only take a afternoon pull the storage plugs put the good in and go over it real good and just add water

ttugrad

Seaman

I thought mine had gone well, now not so much. See Mercruiser repair forum.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

We didn't want to summerize this year so 4 weeks ago we bought a new boat...:eek:

ttugrad

Seaman

That is one way to avoid the spring boat chores ;)

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Mine's not so good. Got 8" of snow last night.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I started summerizing back in january. Took the boat off its trailer and buffed polished and waxed top to bottom and bow to stern. Replaced bunks, trailer lights and axle seals. Then with boat back on trailer I changed the impeller and rear pin set for the trim cylinders. Changed fuel filters and did a general tune-up. Then I added a second battery with a dual bank onboard charger and external plug connection. All I have left is to finish re-tying the wires that are starting to sag, clean and condition the vinyl, and steam clean the carpets. At this rate I should be ready for the water about October.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

My summerizing, hummmmmmmm well it goes something like this, we have had 80 mph winds here the last couple days albeit yesterday was beautiful and 80 degrees so I figured ah heck with it I will do it tomorrow its supposed to be less windy...........

There's an inch of snow on the ground now

ziggy

Admiral

I will add that this to is the 1st year I winterized the block with just air and am a little perinoid hoping for the best
i here ya on being a little paranoid. i was too as this is the first season i winterized w/air too. all is good. i'll bet you will be too. i see no ramifications at this point. and i did splash it this weekend.
we have had 80 mph winds here the last couple days
yikes. 80 mph winds sure sounds exciting. not. it's been a little windy here too. 15 mph sustained yesterday, gust to 30. 70*. not the best boating weather, but was ok for a first run.. i had no issues noted.... that works for me too for a first run.

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Lipp, 80 degrees and an inch of snow on the ground... One heck of a thaw ehh?

You know how my summerization is going if you've been in the restoration forum. But there is progress being made albeit very slow. At least while i'm doing floor and stringer repair, i've got all the upholstery being re-covered and rebuilt as well. Heck, it'll be almost like a new boat by summer.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I know I spend allot of time in the resto forum just to see all the unfortunate mistakes everyone else has made so I don't. I learn to learn form other's mistakes it makes this recreation allot cheaper!.