1971 starcraft 21' islander - custom build

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice
ok-
Hi to all in the starcraft forum-

Just picked up a 1971 starcraft islander 21'er. Darn thing was free- so I took it home. It has a a few issues- 1st- thing is sorta ugly 2nd- it was a prior I/O but now it has a gill bracket and a 1993 rude 150 on it. 3rd- p/o removed the floor and installed aluminum diamond plate instead of wood/carpet. 4th- they started removing the cabin area for ???? reason. 5th- I found a .10 hole in the front at the base of the keel. It is obviouse they beached this boat a few times so it has worn a small hole thru the metal.

I got it just because the engine runs like a top. Had plans of stripping it down, keeping the engine and twin 30gal tanks- then scrapping the rest. But after looking at the boat for a while, I am leaning on patching the hull, removing the cabin, removing the aluminum flooring and redoing the boat like a old style utillity boat. I mean the sides are super tall, and I think the boat, after she is done with the 150 o/b should fly. Just throwing this idea out there- any feed back?? I havew seen a couple of guys cut them up and make cc's out of them. I already have a cc, so I thought about the whole utillity idea. It would be diffrent, and I think if planed out, would look kinda kool.:cool:

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 starcraft 21' islander - custom build

Welcome aboard, but where are the pics. I recently got a 74 21', and it's been beached and looks like offloaded on a ramp. a 150hp outboard free, what a deal. If that one hole is it, you should be home free. You will have to remove that aluminum decking to see what the stringers, ribs, and hull looks like under it. Go for it.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

heyyou325-
Yeah thats the only hole we found. I have looked at the hull via the lift up hatch covers that the p/o built in. I can see the the center between the 2 stringers all the way down to the cuddy. From there, I can lift out the wood grate in the step down infront of the cabin door- all looks good from door to stern. I will post some pics tomm. The boat was a really nice white- then for whatever reason, the p/o decided to brush on some cheap ugly red paint on the sides- must have been a long hard day for him at work- came home drank some brew, and decided to upgrade the boat color (under the influence of budlight due to the old cans in the boat).

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I'm jealous, I never find freebies like that. I bet that ugly red color is what my wife calls burgundy, I couldn't wait to get it off my last 2 boats. Still on my Starcraft. Jason (jasoutside) can probably give you a lot of pointers, as I believe he's working an Islander now, but I don't recall the size, I think it's close in size and year as yours. Good people here, and the have fun together

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Go for it man! Except, we need to see what you are up to so post up some photos for us, eh!

Yup, mine is the same boat, sans bracket and OB (which is super cool).

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What a great deal. You mist be one of those guys that can step in a pile of S#!t and come out smelling like a rose. I need you to pick up a lotto ticket for me. :)
Congats!!!!
Hurry with picks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The keel isn't waterproof so the hole you're seeing might not be damage.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats, sounds like that boat is well-worth a little work to get back on the water:)

Post up some photos, EZ is right, these hulls have a hollow keel and that hole might be factory. Is it perfectly round?

If not there are a few ways to patch it as good as new.

Free!?! What a nice deal to find. I can't find anything for free and it's not from lack of effort.:D

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Saw a truck load of guys with pitch forks, axes, and even a harpoon said they were headin for P-cola.. Something to do with Photos?????????????????????????????

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

Well here are some pics of the ugly boat-haha. Im gonna start removing the floor and cut off the cabin and flair side extensions. As regards to the hole in the keel- it went all the way thru. I could stick my pinky thru it and my son could see it on the inside of the hull. I repaired it today with a 2"x3" pce off aluminum/3m fast cure/rivets.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 4

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice job PS, that got him going!

Oh, home made Gill bracket - just make sure it's up to handle the weight!

I'd love to see you cut the top off and rebuild the rest, cool!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the photos was able to reach the guys so they can tur arond and go hone and see your photos. LOL I myself would give some serious thought as to changing over the boat it looks very rebuildable with not to much work. You have a big deck and a place to get out of the weather. Would be real handy. I have a 22 ft Holiday (closed Bow) and still have tons of space. It is also a outboard with a 200 Johnson. It is very fast. I bet it would be even faster with that stern bracket on yours. Good luck with what you do any way will make you a nice setup. That motor on ther is worth near $ 1500 if it runs real good. What a deal you got.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

ok- well, the top is off. Now I have one question- what is the other guys doing to support the top of the gun's? After I cut the top, the remainder off the gun top was flimsy on both sides. I am thinking off getting some aluminum angle, and attatching it to the top side and then attaching sides on the inside down to the deck. I would imagine that would be sufficient enough. If anyone has any ideas I am very interested to hear them- thanks. FYI- i didnt cut out the front cuddy window. I took the side windows out and left the front. Looks kinda bitchn', kinda shadows my chopped '27 sedan- "rat-rod" boat anyone??? j/k.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

Bump-
Any one wanna chime in on the side supports? I am at the point where I need to put them in. I noticed the dramatic affect that they have on the hull strength- very flimsy from side to side with them removed.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

convertible-

Attachments

• Photo018[1].jpg
    Photo018[1].jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 2

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I've never done anything like that before. You may want to search a couple threads about making an open bow. I remember seeing them in the Starcraft area, but not which thread. They may have something. People on here make all sorts of modifications. you might just have to be a bit patient. I'm sure somebody knows something.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

Heyyou-
I am gonna keep it a closed bow with the short windshield. Kinda looks cool with the short glass. Lots of freakin room inside with the cabin gone.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Take a gander at my Islander thread round about post #291 on. You could basically do the same thing just continue running an inner gunwale piece all the way around. I have yet to finish things up - vinyled cockpit combing padding will cover up the inner side of the gunwale.

For a half a minute I considered cutting the top off of mine. I would have basically just moved the windshield forward right behind the hatch there.

Have fun man!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't mean to make an open bow, I just thought mayber there would be some reenforcement techniques there. And Jason just might have something. Also just for what it's worth. a short windshield, and 10 to 15 mph makes it hard to see, speaking from experience. Keep us appraised on progress tho. Hopefully the weather will be so I can do something on mine this weekend.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

Well, another great day of mid-upper 80's. So I decided to work on the old s/c!!!!:):)

So here it is- new-pics:D
I have removed the upper cap from the transom, and replaced it with a 2x6 and some heavy gauge 2" angle aluminum. I then screwed and rivited it in place. I did the same for the gun tops- except I used 1"x6" S4S wood. It has also been screwed and rivited in place. I added more aluminum framing in the bow area where I am going to add seats. The cocpit area is going to be raised to the old original bench height that was in the cabin area before. I also kept one of the 40 gal fuel tanks and put it in the floor. I am building a step up that will be the same height as the seating area. All in all, I think I will have a unique boat that will mimick that of a late 30's to mid 50's utility boat.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg