Jumping out of gear and clutch dog and gears look good where else do I need to look?

flintcreek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 35 hp 1981 Johnson and it is jumping out of gear at WOT every once and a while. Tore into the lower unit this morning and the clutch dog and gears look good, very little wear. What should I check now?:confused: It thought the gear shift linkage was adjusted up good. Any ideals, what have you seen? Headed back out to the shop to check and see if it might be play in the bell crank.

Thanks,
Flintcreek

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jumping out of gear and clutch dog and gears look good where else do I need to lo

How about the shiftrod height adjustment? do you know what height it should be set to? so you can check it.I think that motor has a height adjustment.You have a manual to check the specs?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jumping out of gear and clutch dog and gears look good where else do I need to lo

Um...didn't he say he has a 35hp? Anyhoo, nearly everybody that tears into a lower unit for that problem says they "look good". It probably is not good. It takes surprisingly little wear to make them jump.

flintcreek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I went back out and checked everything and found the overflow excess fuel line under the shift lever keeping it from going all the way forward. Hope this is my problem. Put it all back together and now I just have to put it back on the boat and give it a test run. Man I feel dumb....a 30 second fix and I tore the lower unit apart. Maybe some one else can learn from my mistake.

Flintcreek

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well you got it inspected and re lubed that's is a accomplishment in it self