Crack in head - repairable or trash?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Was lapping the valves and found this:
crack in head.jpg

Pretty sure it's a piece of scrap iron now but thought I'd ask. Crack is through the exhaust valve seat and across the head. The engine is a VP AQ130C from 1972 so was built when leaded gas was the norm and premium was widely used.

Any hope at all for the head?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crack in head - repairable or trash?

Well,

maybe, maybe not.

You would have to give it to a machine shop to repair. They would either weld it or send it out. Heads and blocks can be repaired...........but the repair will most likely be more than finding another good head and redoing it..

Good thing you found it before putting it back together.......

Keep your valves, springs and rockers!

Regards,

Rick

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Crack in head - repairable or trash?

I did some more wire brushing and discovered that the crack goes all the way to the valve guide. Talked to a machinist and he says that he has never seen it where it didn't go all the way through. His comment was about the same as others - if it can be fixed, it'll be expensive! He recommends thet I find another head, but of course, can't see it that well through the telephone!. I'll run it over to him monday but don't have a lot of hope.

From everything I've read, any B20 head will work. Just have to plug the fuel injector holes if it's the FI automotive version.

This is one of those "just in case" projects where I got a good deal on an engine and thought I'd just make sure it was running good and then put it away for if/when it's needed. My $150 engine is starting to cost a little more!