1st time / Spring time / maintenance for 1991 OB

archcityBob

Seaman
I bought a boat last week with a 1991 Yamaha 55 HP 2 stroke. I hope to take it out for the first time next weekend. I ordered the owners manual for the OB and it should be here soon.

What spring time maintenance items should I do?

Thanks.

~Bob

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1st time / Spring time / maintenance for 1991 OB

lower unit oil, impeller, spark plugs (check), grease, lube starter pinion

I'm sure there are a few others that I am missing. Somebody should be here shortly to add to the list.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fresh gas and oil!! Start it on muffs BEFORE you hit the lake!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

+1, be sure you start this boat in your driveway BEFORE you leave, then you know how to start it and that it actually runs, also don't go above 1500 rpm without a load on the engine.

If you don't know for sure what the previous owner did wifisher is right on, at least the lower unit oil and plugs and if you change the impeller then you know it is new and won't cause problems, if you grease the starter pinion get just the gear, don't grease the shaft as it attracts dirt and will eventually stick.

Also woudln't hurt to get a compression test just to know where the engine is at, I check mine a few times a year, other tha that there really isn't much to do to an outboard.

archcityBob

Seaman

Thanks a lot everyone. I was looking at the OB yesterday. But since I don't have the oil or grease I didn't mess with anything. (Also the fact that I have no clue what I'm doing played a small part.)

I've ordered the owners manual. It should be in later this week. I'm off Friday and I'll probably spend the day working on the boat. Plus I need to get some wiring and hook up the bilge pump. Since my back deck is just a couple of inches above the hull I'll probably just go with some battery clamps on the pump wiring until I get a Rule 3 Way Panel switch with light. My switch fell apart while I was looking at it yesterday. But since the wiring is not hooked up it's no big lost. And a new float switch. I don't like how my float looks at all.

Plus the new trailer wheels.

And the new trolling motor and battery.

Oh yeah, decals and stickers for the state.

Install the new trailer license plate.

and the list goes on and on. :D

~Bob

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will find there is always a list! :) It's all the little things that when taken care of will not lead to bigger bad things. Also, I know when I work on my boat, and finish all the things on my current list, it just feels that much more fantastic when out on the water. (not to mention less worry when you know the grease is all done, lower unit oil is fresh, etc.) It's all part of the passion of boating!