Frozen engine

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the heads off should I be able to turn the engine by hand? It turned over last week with the key. There is evidence of antifreeze in the cylinders but there are no cracks in the block or heads or intake manifold. Thinking it was the risers or the head gasket. Gonna get gaskets and rebuild but wanted to know if engine should turn by hand at this state? Or is something really wrong at this point?. Can I try to jump the starter at this point to see if she is free? All help is appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Frozen engine

Ayuh,... If the outdrive is Off, you should be able to turn it over using a wrench on the crankshaft...
Or with the starter...

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

First, what kind of motor? But generally speaking, yes it should turn over by hand if there is no compression. If it is a larger motor, it may be harder to turn, as there is more drag on the pistons. If there is antifreeze in the cyls it may have damaged the main/rod bearings, and would explain why it is hard to turn over.

Just because the starter can spin it does not mean it is not too tight.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a mercruiser 4.3 V6 1989. What would be my next test to do. I sprayed some knocker loose in the cylinders. There is some rust on the front of the engine where the water pump is. The pump is new last year but the harmonic balancer and the chain cover seem pretty rusted. should I be taking those off at this time also since i am this deep and make sure that they are ok?

Bondo

Staff member

It is a mercruiser 4.3 V6 1989. What would be my next test to do. I sprayed some knocker loose in the cylinders. There is some rust on the front of the engine where the water pump is. The pump is new last year but the harmonic balancer and the chain cover seem pretty rusted. should I be taking those off at this time also since i am this deep and make sure that they are ok?

Ayuh,... The Timing Cover, is Under the oil pan...
You'll need to pull the motor, 'n flip it over 1st...

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The question was Should I take them off and check them out?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rust on the outside is ugly but not a factor. Rust on the inside is BAD.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And the only way to know for sure is to pull the chain cover? I am not wanting to pull the entire engine, is there any way to take the oil cover off without pulling engine?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

not without causing a pan gasket leak. you would have to loosen all the pan bolts to drop it down to remove the timing cover. now you have to properly install the gasket from the bottom, and hope it dosent leak.Plus being that rusty(timing cover) the oil pan should be inspected and that cant be done without pulling the motor.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have taken off the heads and everyhing else. So now it is looking like the next mover will be to pull the engine? Is this what you guys would do?

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Back to your original question, The motor should spin freely with no heads on it and no outdrive. How do you know that there was antifreeze in the cyl? Is it because you saw some after you took off the heads? Guessing it was filled last fall with antifreeze and will spill over when the heads are removed. You're not gonna be able to reinstall the timing cover in the boat.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had water in the oil so have been taking down looking for cracks or signs of intrusion. I have gotten the engine to roll over by hand so I know it is not seized. There is rust on the chain cover but not really thinking about taking engine out. I also know that something worth doing is worth doing right. Is there any other option?

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do i ABSOLUTELY have to remove the engine to get the oil pan off or is it just easier?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

you could try leaving it and cross your fingers and do a lot of oil changes to make sure any rust particles are eliminated.do you know how long the engine had water in and are the bores looking tip top or rusty.you'll have to find out by pressure testing what failed though and rectify.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do i ABSOLUTELY have to remove the engine to get the oil pan off or is it just easier?
I did it once without removing the engine but I would never ever do it that way again. Believe it or not, its easier to take the engine off and do it that way.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How hard is it to re align the engine? That is what I am afraid of.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How hard is it to re align the engine? That is what I am afraid of.
Easy. You undo the lag bolts form the engine mounts to the stringers. Your adjustments will then be very close when you put it back in.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bruce, If I just unbolt the engine block from the engine mount then I should be pretty close right. Is that also an option for the rear mount? If I already have the exhaust and intake, heads, alt, water pump and power steering off. Can I and some friends just lift the engine, if we bolt some 2 x 4 on the mounts? Or should I construct an A-frame to lift it out. I guess my question is, What is the weight of an engine wwith just the block and all the parts to the crank case?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

With as much stuff as yo already have off, you can probably lift the short block off with a couple of friends.

Having said that, if it were me, I would build an A frame and use a hoist to pull it. And yes, I think you should pull it and then check everything out with the engine on a stand. MUCH easier. Plus you can put it back together on the stand a put it back in the boat with pretty much everything already installed.

Ask questions as you go along.

Invest in an alignment bar - which you can pick up on ebay for not much money - and learn to use it. Nothing to be afraid of.

It is so easy, I pull my engine from time to time just to clean it and check things out.