2002 140 Suzuki for sale, should I or shouldn't I?

dlbpjb

Recruit
I found this 2002 4 Stroke 140hp Suzk, with 400 hrs, for sale and not ever run one before was wondering what if any issues there might be with it. There is some signs of age on it with the lower unit showing signs of paint/corrosion on it but for the most part the rest of the motor looks to be in real good shape.
Kind of lost and wondering if it might be worth my interest/time to pursue it further.

Thanks,

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 140 Suzuki for sale, should I or shouldn't I?

There could be a long list of problems with it, or it may be in good condition. You would have to check it over to be sure. Used motors may have been put through a lot of things due to previous owner(s) lack of maintenance or ignorance. If you don't know anything about motors it is kind of like rolling the dice. You could get burned, or you could get a deal.

If it has good compression, and the lower unit oil is clean, it is probably worth looking into more seriously. It is hard to say without knowing more about the motor's condition, and your ability to work on it and diagnose it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 140 Suzuki for sale, should I or shouldn't I?

The motor has an ECU -- have a dealer pull any trouble codes. Run a compression check. Ask for service records. And by all means insist on a test run either in a test tank or on the boat. Reluctance to do any of this is an indication that something is amiss. If you can't run it or do any of the tests, get a signed statement saying the seller will make the engine serviceable. Just make sure you indicate what you consider serviceable is. Running is one thing. Running normally is quite another.