2010 4HP Merc OB HELP will not start!

zelkenj

Recruit
Super upset since this new motor let me down. After being stored in garage over winter went to start up my new-ish 4hp 4 stroke 2010 long shaft outboard and the pull start locks up after being pulled ~ 1 foot. Yes the engine is in neutral. Was not stored in ideal position on its side or straight up. When I pull the pull start the flywheel turns a bit then ?locks?. I do not think it has seized. Cannot find service help in Baltimore. Would really appreciate urgent advice.
Jon

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2010 4HP Merc OB HELP will not start!

Depending on how it was stored,oil from the crankcase may have found it's way into the combustion chamber and is causing a hydro lock.Try removing the spark plug and cranking it over.If oil is in there,put a rag over the spark plug hole and keep pulling until no more oil comes out.Naturally,you will have to clean or replace the oily spark plug and then refill the crankcase to the proper level.Hope this helps.

zelkenj

Recruit

Thanks Windy will give that a shot. Any other thoughts?

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the engine was older with many hours on it,I would also check the clearence on the intake and exhaust valves.If there is to much clearence,the valves would not open enough and you would also have to much compression to over come.If there are no mechanical parts damaged by storing the engine in freezing conditions with water in it,the hydro lock condition is "MY" best guess.

If oil in the cylinder is your problem,you are going to have a very smokey motor until the oil burns off of everywhere it wasn't supposed to be.

Last edited:

zelkenj

Recruit

Windy

Thanks for the advice. I removed the spark plug, pulled the starter and -boom- a jet of oil shot out. Replaced the spark plug with a new one for good measure (probably didnt have to) and after ~10 tries the motor started up. Repleted oil tank and let it idle for about an hour. Runs like a charm.

Thanks again

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

zelkenj

Your welcome.Glad that was your only problem and everything is back to normal.