Anyone have a love affair with 1978 Chrysler Bass Runners?

Anyone have a love affair with 1978 Chrysler Bass Runners?

• Total voters

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...just thought I would throw this out there, since all my attempts including the Chrysler Crew(fantastic folks!!!) to find people who like these boats have been feeble.:(

So I am just interested to see if any of you are fans of this boat! If not, why? :cool:

Attachments

• 1000000119.JPG
    1000000119.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000000125.JPG
    1000000125.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone have a love affair with 1978 Chrysler Bass Runners?

Looks like it would make a nice river fishing boat. My all time favorite chrysler boat will always be the early 70's shallow-vee conqueror!

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I certainly love the trihulls. This boat is extremely stable for fishing. When at WOT, the ride can be a bit rough, but all my teeth are still in- haven't shaken out yet!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a 1971 16' Sport Fury with a 45 hp at first (gutless) and swapped it back to the dealer for a 3 cyl 85 the same summer at a wholesale-used vs retail-new price differential. The 85 ran out pretty good but the buddies of the day with their OMC Loopers could run circles around me on half the fuel...seemed like....with lower hp engines. In '72 I took another beating and traded for an 18' Caravelle tri-hull (heavier and deeper center V with lifting strakes) with a 125 Johnny. Day and night.

Years later, had another buddy tried to sell me a 16' Bass Runner of the same vintage which did have the 3 cyl Johnny 60 hp looper. This was a tri hull, like the Fury, only had the width chopped down and rigged for bass fishing. The deck and the hull made an air chamber and the water that got in there and the thin hull material didn't survive the test of time. Didn't take a lot of thought to pass on it.

Hope you are thrilled with yours as mine were not that pleasant an experience. So, why am I posting this? For others, trying to decide what they want in a "new to them" boat to beware and make sure you check out what you are looking at before you plunk down your money.

HTH,

Mark