Stern Anchor Suggestions

TeamPCBeach

Seaman
Since we are moving up from our 20' center console to our 30' Doral we are looking for ideas as to what people use for their stern anchors. In our case we will be backing up to the beach at an island in about 4 feet of water. We are on the lee side so there are no waves, just typically a 5-10 kt sea breeze. Currently we have 2 folding grapnel anchors each with about 40 feet of line. The thought is these would be walked into the beach and set by hand.

So, do you think this will work on this size boat? Do we have enough line?

195784.jpg

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stern Anchor Suggestions

I've got a 30 foot Doral. The best solution I have found is a smaller danforth Anchor with about 50 ft of line. I like it that way, the boat does not swing and the Danforth digs into the sand.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a salesman "con"vince me a grapnel would work on my Doral Elegante... It wouldn't hold my tender in a 10k breeze.
As with CHIEF915 I now use a Danforth with 3m of chain and 100ft of line (haven't bothered to cut it down yet). The Danforth holds better than the main (imitation CQR in S.S) anchor.

Seamonkies

Seaman Apprentice

TeamPCBeach,
I, too, use a danforth anchor with about 50ft of line to secure my stern at the beach with a pretty strong current/tide. Never tried the kind of hooks you've got, so I can't say if they'll work or not. I do know that once I stick that sucker into the sand, I don't have to worry at all about it going any where. Not sure you'd have that same confidence with those hooks.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

Where do you store your stern anchors? I went with the grapnel since they fold up small and I can keep them in the transom locker. If I put a danforth in there I don't think i would be able to put anything else.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

BSA> When you tried the grapnel did you take it up on the beach by hand and set it? We tried the grapnel while in about 10' of water ad it couldn't even keep the stern from swinging. I was hoping by using two of them, set by hand on the beach, that they would hold.

I had a salesman "con"vince me a grapnel would work on my Doral Elegante... It wouldn't hold my tender in a 10k breeze.
As with CHIEF915 I now use a Danforth with 3m of chain and 100ft of line (haven't bothered to cut it down yet). The Danforth holds better than the main (imitation CQR in S.S) anchor.

CHIEF915

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where do you store your stern anchors? I went with the grapnel since they fold up small and I can keep them in the transom locker. If I put a danforth in there I don't think i would be able to put anything else.

I got a Danforth for 20-25 ft boats it fits under a chair against the stern.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dismantle mine and store it in the transom locker, it fits nice and snug so no moving around while underway. To dismantle the Danforth easily I use a ss split pin that is curved not opened out permanently (you need to carry pliers and spare pins if you use them as intended).

We aren't allowed to have an anchor or line above the waterline in Sydney Harbour but in other places I have tried it was equally unsuccessful. The Grapnel needs a big rock or log to hang onto... So you may as well use a rope and just tie it.

Attachments

• Starboard Stern.jpg
    Starboard Stern.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0

Emancipation

Seaman Apprentice

Since we are moving up from our 20' center console to our 30' Doral we are looking for ideas as to what people use for their stern anchors. In our case we will be backing up to the beach at an island in about 4 feet of water. We are on the lee side so there are no waves, just typically a 5-10 kt sea breeze. Currently we have 2 folding grapnel anchors each with about 40 feet of line. The thought is these would be walked into the beach and set by hand.

So, do you think this will work on this size boat? Do we have enough line?

View attachment 88093

We use two sand anchors. Two 3' spikes that hammer into the sand, dirt, mud... I position them 45 degrees off either side of the stern and secure the boat to them off the stern cleats with 50' lines. Works great and their easy to stow.

TeamPCBeach

Seaman

Just wanted to update, we ditched the grapnel for a couple of small Dansforth style. The grapnels would just not hold in sand, even when I stomped them in. The dansforth are for 15 to 20 foot boats and they work perfect. They are small enough that two fit in the transom locker with ease.

Camelot2

Cadet

We have used a danforth with both our Doral 270 and 310....its great to dig into the sane.

It is the same size as is on the bow.....so it is substantial, but will fit under the starboard bench without much sticking out. You can go one size down.....but for peace of mind.....you will never move with the larger one.

Cheers