Re-carpeting boat

The carpet in my 95 maxum is starting to look dingy. I would like to replace it, the floors are solid no soft spots or rot anywhere. Where can I get some good carpet and how to secure it? glue? If so what kind.

nrmi76

Cadet
Re: Re-carpeting boat

i have a 1967 glasstron it was givin to me by an old friend. it was a disaster. i gutted it replaced all decking with really expencive marine board and marine carpet. when i bought the carpet they olny sold the glue in 5 gallon buckets, way to much for my 18' boat. they suggested lows or home depot for indoor/outdoor carpet glue it took bout 1 1/2 gallons saved lots of money and is the same thing as the 5 gallon bucket. good luck.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be the minority as I am partial to fishing boats, but carpet is more of a pain in alot of boats than it's worth. I vote for nautilex or just painting a non skid type floor. Carpet in our area tends to not want to dry and gets stinky with all the humidity.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Snap in is the best of both worlds. Cut the carpet to fit and have the edges whipped, get yourself a snap kit from our sponsor and pop a few in every 3' or so. Pull it out for fishin, put it in for water play so your floors aren't slippery.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I used indoor-outdoor carpet from Lows and Henry carpet glue. Its held up well now going on 7 years in my bass boat.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Rubber backed marine grade carpet for pro...

Carpet glue that Requires you to Wear a Resporator ..

YD.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

marine carpet can be bought at any independent dealer also spreading all that outdoor glue is messy and adds alot of weight not to mention pains when you go to pull it up and the cost factor. use spray contact addhesive sets right away dont need a full spread just random spots you will save time and money! we dont have a bailout plan the independent dealers need your business and will probably give you better service in the end!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

marine carpet can be bought at any independent dealer also spreading all that outdoor glue is messy and adds alot of weight not to mention pains when you go to pull it up and the cost factor. use spray contact addhesive sets right away dont need a full spread just random spots you will save time and money! we dont have a bailout plan the independent dealers need your business and will probably give you better service in the end!

I dont understand this..

The glue does not add " alot " of weight .

"random spots" using Spray contact addhesive ( Like 3m 44 ? ) .. wont do it .. Dont do it..

Your going to have a resporator..trowel the glue..roll out with a D-roller and a J-roller.

YD.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

been in the floor covering bus 32 years all your new manufactured boats as well as ulpostery shops use spray contact for years not high in voc s either not trying to start something here just giving my honest .02 worth

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with dehydrated on the glue. And don't just do the edges, the middle rips in a hurry, did one about 4 years ago, and edges are fine, but center is not. And as ChampionShip stated carpeting is a pain in a fishing boat. In my new project, I'm going to use a thin rubber or plastic mat, not sure what it is or named. Your hooks aren't always caught in it, and it's easier to clean, just turn the garden hose on it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Huh....I used the 6700 indoor/outdoor stuff from HD and it works fine.....real tough too.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a different idea, I used foam shock absorbing floor covering that I got at costco, comes in 2'x2' squares w/interlocking edges I used 3m spray glue to hold it down. Its easy to clean nice on bare feet cost $20 and weighs about 5lbs

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used the HD stuff and didn't even glue it down. I layed it flat and cut to fit and then put my seats and bench on it and then screwed them in. So far it's workin great.

jamiemac74

Seaman

The carpet in my 95 maxum is starting to look dingy. I would like to replace it, the floors are solid no soft spots or rot anywhere. Where can I get some good carpet and how to secure it? glue? If so what kind.

I just finished my boat. I purchased my carpet from Farber Sales in Nashville TN. They sell the marine grade Dorsett Carpet with the rubber backing in 6' or 8' widths. I used the adhesive you spray thru a paint gun to apply. It was what I have always used in the automotive audio business. And was also recommended for this product as well. After removing the factory carpet and seeing how it was installed I believe they had used the same adhesive. Because of the spray pattern they had used... I hope this helps you some, If you have any questions feel free to ask...

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to know how produceguys carpet is in a couple of years. I did that,and screwed it down on the edges, within 3 years the carpet started tearing where you would pivot your feet on it. I turn a lot out fishing I guess, especially trying to get back up to the steering wheel.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd like to know how produceguys carpet is in a couple of years. I did that,and screwed it down on the edges, within 3 years the carpet started tearing where you would pivot your feet on it. I turn a lot out fishing I guess, especially trying to get back up to the steering wheel.

Hey you, I hope it will last a couple years.
Did you glue your new carpet and did it last longer?

Sorry to the op, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I glue it now. Just screwed edges and held with seats on my Crestliner. And yea I did cut it to fit. Home depot outdoor. Within three years it started tearing from wear, mainly where you would turn. Didn't realize it's usually in the same spot.