1977 evinrude 55hp model number 55773D

angler0520

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i am trying to figure out this motor it is a very strong motor has great compression. My problem is when i first start the motor it will not idle i have to use the fast idle lever and run it at high RPM after about 4 or 5 min it will idle and run great is this something i just need to deal with or is there something i can do to fix this. and help is greatley appreciated!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 evinrude 55hp model number 55773D

That's sorta normal but you could check the fuel line and connections. Do you squeeze the primer bulb a few times before starting?

angler0520

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have replaced all fuel lines and tank when i bought the boat. i have check the ball and it is always hard when i restart it. the problem i hate is i could run it for a hour let it sit for 5 min and it is a pain to start and get to idle i thought it was not geting enough fuel so i tried to help it with some starting fluid and it made it worse is it possible that it is getting to much fuel on the restart and if so what could cause it

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Angler, I'm not much of a marine mechanic but I do know one thing though. NEVER and I mean NEVER use staring fluid on a 2 cycle engine. Sorry I couldnt post about your problem. But I would hate to see you ruin the seals on that engine from using starting fluid.