Engine Replacement

Mr Rumblur

Seaman Apprentice
I'm ready to tackle the "replace the engine because the block is cracked" project. It's a 2001 5.0 Volvo Penta SX. I have a 5.7 long block ordered from Rapido.

This is my first boat repair. I've been working on cars since I was a kid so I feel I have the basic knowledge and tools to do it but some guidance would be helpful.

Through research on here, I take it that I should pull the outdrive to enable alignment and simpler install. How do I remove it and what do I look for upon inspecting the gimbal bearing, u-joints and anything else that's accessible at this time?

Any input on this entire project is greatly appreciated. For future repair/maintenance, I plan to obtain manuals. Even an owner's manual for the boat, a 2001 Glastron GX205, would be helpful. Where would I get these?

As a curious side note.......there is an obvious crack in the block near the starter but the oil is not milky. How long could a guy usually run it like this? What symptoms will arise? We bought it like this so I don't know what temp it ran before. While running it with muffs yesterday it acted like it wanted to climb over 210. This seems hot to me. Is this related to the cracked block?

I'm new on here and to the boat world. I'm glad to have found this forum and have been very impressed with all of the help I've seen on here. Thanks much in advance!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Engine Replacement

What is the drives current gear ratio? (It should be 1.95:1 and the 5.7 should be 1.51:1 or 1.43:1 for most applications but there are exceptions.)

Bubba - I am not a Volvo guy, so I am certainly not saying you are wrong.... but I am surprised. The expected gear ratio for a 5.0 liter is only 1.95:1? While the 5.7 is 1.51:1? Why the big difference between the two 8 cylinder engines?

Mr Rumblur

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input and instructions. It is carbureted so no worries there. How do I tell what gear ratio mine is? If there's much difference, can it be "corrected" with prop pitch. As to the overheating, I guess that's why I was asking, as a heads up with new engine. Regardless, I should be super attentive to that at startup anyway.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the full model number or the Volvo serial number from the old engine. I have links to the OEM service manuals, just need to know the real model. Year doesn't mean anything, Volvo doesn't list anything by year.

PS: The 1.95 gear ratio is for a DuoProp drive, not a single prop (SX).

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

do you have a photograph of the crack and is it throwing lots of water out whilst running on the muffs?could try with the jb weld first before pulling and make sure your impellor is all present.a new block that you have on order is the safest way to go.an alignment tool will also need to be purchased.when fitting yourself at least you will know how to winterize for the following winter.

Mr Rumblur

Seaman Apprentice

Bubba - The boat is 20' long and supposed to be 2500 lbs. The plate says it's a 1.60 ratio so maybe I'm ok?

Don - The engine info is as follows........5.0GL PEFS 4012048045 3869056

Ding - I don't have a pic. I couldn't see any water coming out while running. I know it's worth it to replace it but since it seems more minor than most I've heard of, I was curious if guys ever try running them like this and what the results are.

Thanks Guys!

PS The drive does say SX-M. Does the M mean anything?

scipper77

Commander

Ding - I don't have a pic. I couldn't see any water coming out while running. I know it's worth it to replace it but since it seems more minor than most I've heard of, I was curious if guys ever try running them like this and what the results are.

Thanks Guys!

I bought my boat with cracks on both sides of the motor. They were JB welded years before I got the boat. I have been running the boat like this for 5 seasons with no issues yet. It's probably been 8-9 years of having the JB repair if you count the time before I had it. I'm not advising you to do the same, just offering my experience based on your question above.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don - The engine info is as follows........5.0GL PEFS 4012048045 3869056

PS The drive does say SX-M. Does the M mean anything?

The M is just a model for the SX, the Model number is an EF which is a 2000 engine model. Not uncommon for 2001 boats to have 2000 engines in them. The years start on boats at a different time than the engines do.

Here is links to the OEM service manuals for your engine and outdrive that you can download for free.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518190/c08a758e/EFsharing.html
You need all but the last 2.

If you go to this link http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx
You can download the owners manual and some other info for your engine, just put your serial number in.

Mr Rumblur

Seaman Apprentice

The M is just a model for the SX, the Model number is an EF which is a 2000 engine model. Not uncommon for 2001 boats to have 2000 engines in them. The years start on boats at a different time than the engines do.

Here is links to the OEM service manuals for your engine and outdrive that you can download for free.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518190/c08a758e/EFsharing.html
You need all but the last 2.

If you go to this link http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx
You can download the owners manual and some other info for your engine, just put your serial number in.

Awesome! Thanks much!

Mr Rumblur

Seaman Apprentice

When I tried to download the Installation Manual it brought up a "DANGEROUS PAGE" warning. Did you encounter this or have any issues?