NJ Trailer registration - New rules???

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For years in NJ all you had to do to register a home made trailer was to state the weight and number of axles and get a tag.
Now all of a sudden they need a notarized statement and receipts for all parts and you need a certified weight slip from one of three private scales to get a tag? I tried to re-register a couple of my trailers all of which have had homemade registrations for years, and they suddenly need weight slips and notarized receipts to prove where the parts came from.
I don't know about anyone else, but why or how would any one have receipts for steel that they've had laying around the garage for years or used wheels and tires bought at yard sales and flea markets? I've got 10 tons of steel laying around the shop, when I need a trailer, I start welding.

To make it worse, they now say that you need brakes on any trailer that is either over 3000lbs or if the trailer weights 40% of what the tow vehicle weighs. That means I need brakes on a 1200 lb trailer to pull it with my Ford Ranger that weighs only 3020 lbs. How do they expect you to put brakes on 8 or 12" wheels?
Have they lost their minds?

I've towed my 1475lb 16' boat for years behind my Ranger short bed with no problems, now it legally needs brakes. I guess I have to buy a bigger trailer with brakes to haul a 900lb boat? The trailer will outweigh the boat and a bigger trailer with brakes will no doubt put the towed weight into the 'too heavy' range. The truck doesn't even feel the boat behind it, it don't stop any different with the trailer than without it. Adding brakes is just adding more weight.
Keep in mind this is according to how the law reads, and hopefully they will never enforce such a ridiculous regulation. For what it's worth, my aluminum 14' boat on it's bunk trailer and 8" wheels weighs over 1200 lbs with the boat, motor, trailer, fuel, and other items in the boat on the way to the lake. The boat weighs in at 360 lbs, the trailer is 420 lbs, the motor another 120lbs, 6 gallons of gas another 45lbs or so, trolling motor and battery are at least 100lbs, plus the seats, tackle boxes, cooler, and beer. There's little doubt in my mind the whole thing is over 1200 lbs.
I guess they want me to go buy a bigger truck to pull a 12' boat?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: NJ Trailer registration - New rules???

I'm not defending the new rules, but for years people have skirted the old rules by taking factory-made trailers with "lost" titles and registered them as homemade. I'd guess that's a major reason for the change in documentation requirements.

Note the limit refers to 40% of gross weight. I'd guess your Ranger weighs more than 3500 pounds if you have two occupants and a full bed.

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sucks, man.

can you call around though...our county clerk office in lexington, ky didn't have all the info about registering a trailer. i actually had to call KY's game warden to get the real laws/regulations and how to get around them if need be.

good luck.

lrd3

Cadet

the trailer laws are set up to help protect trailer theft... not that it stops people but it was supposed to i guess..
i would suggest you do some tractor supply shopping for a cheep brake system for the trailer you have.. its a easy ad on with some moderate skill level... my latest trailer is not for boating but for hauling scrap... i put the brakes on it but never bothered to "hook up all the wires" there there... so I'm good to go... plate and reg good for a year....

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

If you cannot get it re-registered in NJ, register it in Maine.....

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get it weighed without the boat on it. Here in Michigan, our license fees on trailers are based on weight, but the boat is not part of the weight that is taxed. As a minimum, take the batteries and any other removables out of the boat. Fortunately, we now have permanent licenses (for as long as I own the trailer) on all recreational trailers. (Unfortunately, the permanent license is a good bit more than the annual licenses were.) BTW, I cannot believe that older trailers are not grandfathered in. Cars certainly would have been. An older car (antique now) would not require seat belts and shoulder harnesses. I would be screaming at my state legislature.

TerryMSU

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this for real, it seems too easy, I have been towing my boat for years with no plate at all. I only use the trailer twice a year (if there are mechanical issues or hurricanes I usually pull the boat mid season) but usually its to put the boat in and take the boat out at end of the season. I only tow a 1/4 mile to the ramp from my house, but I would like the ability to take the boat somewhere else and drop it in.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Is this for real, it seems too easy, I have been towing my boat for years with no plate at all. I only use the trailer twice a year (if there are mechanical issues or hurricanes I usually pull the boat mid season) but usually its to put the boat in and take the boat out at end of the season. I only tow a 1/4 mile to the ramp from my house, but I would like the ability to take the boat somewhere else and drop it in.

its real... Maine has made a business with registering out of state trailers. Easy buck for the state coffers. In most cases I'm against that sort of shady business, it is taking money used for your local roads and giving it to maine instead. In this case, I'd be in favor of it. If they make it impossible to register your own trailer, you really don't have a choice.

(keep in mind this won't get you by the brake requirement though)

bigdee

Commander

its real... Maine has made a business with registering out of state trailers. Easy buck for the state coffers. In most cases I'm against that sort of shady business, it is taking money used for your local roads and giving it to maine instead. In this case, I'd be in favor of it. If they make it impossible to register your own trailer, you really don't have a choice.

(keep in mind this won't get you by the brake requirement though)

I agree. The state coffers should stay away from small trailers (they do in SC). I have several trailers but just one tag that I move from trailer to trailer. I have never seen the tag checked against the trailer vin by law enforcement.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad I live in TN, no trailer registration required.

Thalasso

Commander

This thread is a year old.

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread is a year old.

????? What does it matter if its a year old, please explain why this statement on this post even matters to rest of us, we can all read the date on the left.........?????????????????3