50hp evinrude battery connection?

bigchunkytaco

Seaman
hi there folks,
i recently aquired a 50 hp evinrude beleived to be an 80's model, after messing around with forward controls etc i am ready for a test,
however the battery cables that came with it seem to be quite odd. there is one battery clamp in the middle of the line with another spade plug attachment and the remaining cable also frm this terminal. the bloke before me may have had it set up to power something else simultaneously??

i am just wondering if anybody knows exactly what points i should be connecting these battery terminals to on the outboard, there is a power cable that runs from the forward controls and connects via round pin plug to the engine but no spot for the battery terminals

model #50303R
serial #89943

much regard
mr taco

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 50hp evinrude battery connection?

Check the cables for corrosion and I would just replace them. It sounds as if the previous owner may have had a multiple battery set up.

New battery cables are cheap and good insurance for perfect connections.

bigchunkytaco

Seaman

yeh i reckon thats a good idea, will just get new ones tomorrow, do you know where exactly on the outboard i should be attaching the battery cables?

fireman57

Captain

Negative grounds to the block just behind the starter and the positive goes to your starter solenoid.

bigchunkytaco

Seaman

i assumed as much, was just wondering which terminal as its a 4 post solenoid. the bottom runs to the starter motor, the top has 2 red wires running to what i think would be the forward controls and one orange running to the power unit. the 2 smaller posts have one yellow/red stripe which i think would be the ignition and the other has a black earth wire to the head.

just wondering which terminal on the solenoid to connect postive battery cable to so i dont short it, also does it matter which spot i earth the negative battery cable to..
thanks for the help!!

D

DJ

the bottom runs to the starter motor, the top has 2 red wires running to what i think would be the forward controls and one orange running to the power unit. !!

The top one. Oppposite the post with the large red wire going to the starter.

The top post should have a double nut on it.

The negative cable should go to a lug, on the block, just behind the starter.

bigchunkytaco

Seaman

beautiful! thanks for the advice!
there is a brown wire disconnected that i think is coming from the ignition, i have a feeling its meant to go to what i think is the choke solenoid as there is no wire attached. any ideas?

D

DJ

Brown usually, not always, indicates a sensor. Does the head heat sensor (top of head) have a wire going to it?

bigchunkytaco

Seaman

i think u may be right, the only wire coming from the top centre nut of the head seems to be a black earth wire should i connect the brown wire to this?

the choke solenoid wire that is broken is a darker brown than the other. there is a purple wire and an earth wire from the other side of it, i think i just need to recconect the brown to get the choke working. is there any way to manually overide the choke for a test run to get her started?

D

DJ

i think u may be right, the only wire coming from the top centre nut of the head seems to be a black earth wire should i connect the brown wire to this?

No. That sounds like a temperature sensor.

You have (if it's an 80's model) a primer solenoid-no choke.

The red lever, on the primer solenoid, can be turned perpendicular to the solenoid body for manual start.
Y