Installing inverter/charger

kiddsysco

Cadet
http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-hf.aspx

I need some help getting my brain moving in the right direction. I just ordered a inverter/charger.. (the same one as the link above) Im wanting to wire it directly into my AC system. I also will be adding a 2 bank charger. I have 5 batteries. Im using 3 for the inverter/ house batteries. and 2 for starting batteries. The inverter is a also a charger. The set up I have now is seperated and controled by a 3 position switch. (1 only) (2 only) and (both). Can anyone tell me if I need to do something diffrent as far as seperating my battery banks or will this work just fine.. Also since the (a) charger and (b) charger/converter will be drawing from the same AC-shore power source is there some special way to hook these up.. I dont want to be running my (a) charger with the inverter when its NOT connected to shore power.

If you have any experiance with inverter direct wiring.. Honestly any info would help... Thanks..

Ron

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Installing inverter/charger

I have the same setup. has worked great for years.

The engines use the 3 way switch and 2 starting battries. my 3 bank charger takes care of this and the anchor battery. I have a a/c switch on the dash to turn charger on.

The inverter charges the 3 house battries ( all hooked together) plus grounded to starting batteries. I have a heavy duty switch between the house batteries and the invertor. I carry a jumper. on a long cruise I jump the engine battery to the house so I can run the fridge and keep everything at 100% at night remove jumper. If I run the house batteries low I recharge them at a dock.

kiddsysco

Cadet

Thanks Lyle... Sounds like I just may be on the right track.. This power system is all new to me. But Im doing my research and asking questions. If you can or anyone else for that matter has anything to add it would be helpful. Id like to get it right the first time and hopefully without fustration..

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Think you will be fine. Just dont hook the battery charger to a source that is fed by the inverter.

kiddsysco

Cadet

Just reading over the installation gude. The section where it shows how to wire direct into AC system shows a "AC LOAD PANEL" as well as the AC source breaker panel.. I know where the breaker panel is... I have not seen an AC LOAD panel ( according to the diagram there are two seperate panels)... Where to look for this LOAD panel and is that something that may have been optional or standard for all marine AC power systems?

I've been looking at installing this in mine this year since my last charger died on me and I'd love to run TV/Coffee maker while anchored. Thoughts on mounting locations? I can't seem to determine if I can put this in my engine compartment.