how would u check timing on a 150 evenrude

joeblue

Cadet
might sound like a stupid question but how do u check timiming on a outboard. I have checked the timing on a car but never a boat.

thanks

joeblue

Cadet
Re: how would u check timing on a 150 evenrude

88 evenrude xp150 when i slam the throtle down to take off it takes me like a min to plain out then i get like a surge of power and it takes off i am still not running at the right rpms at wot only running about 4200 rpm checked compression its fine and checked spark under a load and it looks fine someone suggested checking the timming to me but i have no idea how to do it on a boat.

jonesg

Admiral

A timing light on the flywheel, they aften have the marks on there.
You can set idle and check advance but I think it needs to bne on the water or in a test tank to do WOT.

You have compression and spark, the next step would usually be fuel/carbs, not timing.

joeblue

Cadet

thanks again u have been real helpful.

will carbs make it surge like that and lose rpms?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to the Top Secret file at the beginning of this forum. Joe Reeves has a good procedure for setting it.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

could have something in the carbs obstrucking flow

joeblue

Cadet

have u ever rebuilt carbs i mean is it hard? i have never done them before do u think i would be getting in over my head if i try to do them myself.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

im a floor store owner but my true passion is rebuilding two stroke motors ! if you have the desire to do it than yes you can do anything! there is so much information out there and in the manuals it makes it easy for the average person to do there own repairs. I came from the school of hard knocks learning this stuff and in no way a expert of any kind! but i do enjoy the simple fact that i did it myself .

joeblue

Cadet

alright i am trying it. and i was up half the night watching those vids on utube great idea that was helpful

joeblue

Cadet

went to start taking carbs apart the linkage that goes threw all 3 carbs was disconected from the linkage there is a a little holder the the rod sits in on the middle carb it was not inthe holder could this be the problem

it was still opening and closing but this made me inspect closer when i push the throttle down all 3 carb plates are open different the middle carb is wide open top carb about half open and bottom carb about 3/4 open is this right.

jonesg

Admiral

hehehe, yeh I'd say thats a problem, !
its part of the link and sync .
they all have to work in unison together and be linked with the ignition.
If its not set up correctly the engine will run like crap if at all.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Suggest you get an original factory manual from the original publisher: Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee or at outboardbooks.com
Don't settle for any substitutes. You really need this book when you get into the sync and link.

joeblue

Cadet

how hard is this gonna be to get this set right. i mean as long as i put it back together the way it was it should be fine right