1990's 200hp evenrude losing spark in only one cylinder

joeblue

Cadet
My budy has benn having problems with his boat it is surging and it wont plain out right away we took it out today with new plugs in it ran good for 5 min then it started running like crap missing and not wanting to go

we brought it home and put inline spark testers on it and only one clyinder was losing spark we switched that coil out and it made no differnece so where do we go from here

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990's 200hp evenrude losing spark in only one cylinder

It could be the power pack or the timer base.

joeblue

Cadet

what is the timer base

joeblue

Cadet

sorry about that i will have to get the model number it is my budys boat just trying to help him out i will get the model numbers from him. it wierd i have never seen a motor lose spark like that. it keeps going in and out we had inline spark testers on it first we switched the wires to make sure it wasnt that then we switched the coil and it wasnt that.

is there a way to test a power pack

i mean we are goin in the right direction right. it made since to just keep working our way threw the elec. parts problem we are having is we dont really know how to test any of these parts without just changing them and know that we are to the power pack the parts are starting to get expensive.

thanks for all ur help

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My 1997 that was intermitting dropping out #5 cylinder above 4800 rpm. We tried everything.
On the third or fourth time of taking the flywheel off and on it stopped. Then came back. Put a new flywheel on it and it hasn't had a problem since. We checked the magnets, the key way, nothing. In deprivation we changed the flywheel and the problem went away.
I've put 200-300 hours on the motor since.