My boat wont plane out and reach rpms

stratos275

Recruit
Hello i have a 1990 stratos 275 fish and ski with 150 evenrude on it took it out tonight and it would not plane out at all you put the throttle down and it was like the boat was almost bogging down in a way the rpms would only get around that 2800 range after a while it would kind of plane out but it was still bogging down in a way but if it is in neutral and u take it out of gear engine revs up good i have been around boats but this is my first one to own if anyone has any insite that would be great thanks so much

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My boat wont plane out and reach rpms

You didnt deploy the anchor and forget to reel it back in did you? Stranger things have happened...

stratos275

Recruit

NO i bought this boat about 2 weeks ago and he told me this is what is doing and he had it through the shop put new power pack new stator and had carbs rebuilt and they couldnt figure it out what do u mean by propeller hub

SigSaurP229

Commander

The propeller rests on a rubber hub that is designed to take the impact of a hit and destroy the lower unit. Take a scribe and mark the prop in relation to the rubber hub inside of the prop if the marks aren't still aligned then you have a spun hub meaning that the hub is turning without the prop. Make sure the gas tank is venting properly, as well as no restrictions in the fuel line. Could also be a Waterlogged hull. If its only getting 2800 rpms that means it is probably not a waterlogged hull though. Even though the carbs were just rebuilt it could also mean a clog in the high speed jet.

99% spun hub though

stratos275

Recruit

ok i will check all them things over thank u so much if the hub has spun can i buy a new hub is it pretty common for that to do that and are they pretty easy to change agian thank you

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

ok i will check all them things over thank u so much if the hub has spun can i buy a new hub is it pretty common for that to do that and are they pretty easy to change agian thank you

:eek: punctuation dude! thismakesmyeyeshurt!

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't a prop hub let the motor rev, but not propel the vessel? The OP said the motor is bogging down.

stratos275

Recruit

yeah you get out there and open it up and it just acts like the it doesnt want to go anywhere like its bogging down

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you have a spun hub, take it to a prop shop to repair. You need a spare anyway, so you might as well take a new one along with you to the lake and enjoy the day IF this is your problem. I am ALWAYS suspect of the prop hub diagnosis when the engine won't rev higher. Basically, if the motor is right, then the bad hub is able to hold back a LOT of horsepower, which always seems unlikely to me. With that said, some have claimed 45 MPH and a spun hub, so what do I know.

And BTW, any of those things that has previously been replaced can be bad, and a lot of other things just like Sig has begun to list. Annnnd, revving in neutral only means one thing, that it can rev in neutral. Almost meaningless when troubleshooting what effectively is a low power complaint. Don't eliminate ANYTHING unless you know for a FACT that it is good. Good luck and welcome aboard!!!

Edit: Sorry wifisher, we're on the same page, I just got distracted and posted late . . . :rolleyes:

Edit 2: For some reason this thread showed locked after I posted. Maybe only visible to me (Mods), but I had to do a few gyrations to get it right again. Sorry if I messed anybody up. 2nd time this has happened today, so something weird is going on and I think it's vBulletin . . . :confused:

jonesg

Admiral

Its not running on all 6 cyl's.
Use a timing light to verify.
They will rev up in neutral on 4 cyl's just fine until you seize a piston...so don't do that...ever.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd side with jonesg. Pull the cowl off and run it for a bit - then feel the cylinders. I bet one or two feel cold. On the other hand, I can't believe any mechanic at a shop wouldn't find that. If that's the case, next action item will be to find the culprit (engine needs spark, fuel, and compression - if a cylinder or two are dead, it has to be one of them.) I wouldn't trust anything the mechanic or PO told you at this point, just start over with the diagnosis. Good luck with it.