Mercury power trim motor help please

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice
I have the prestolite round style power trim motor on my mercury that needs to be replaced. BUT for a new mercury pump is over 900.00 So i checked out some aftermarket ones and they are like 150.00. Anyone had any luck with aftermarket power trim motors? Im checking a few out on ebay.

kjspylite

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury power trim motor help please

I bought one of those cheap motors off ebay and haven't had any problems yet. However, I've only had the boat in the water three times due to motor issues. It has been submerged and it works perfectly, but I can not speak to its durability.

merc850

Commander

What's wrong with it?
trim-pump-exploded.jpg
you can work on the motor brushes etc!
Sometimes the solenoid for up gets dirty, you can replace or fix that too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason, Is that the motor in Merc850's picture? If so, I would check the aftermarket one out at a local marine store. There are two kinds of aftermarket motors that look identical. Of course, one won't work. Carefully check the armature length to make sure they are long enough to contact the pump in the base of the resevoir.

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

no heres a few pics of mine. Dont believe its worth saving. its been rigged up by someone before. the black wire had been cut inside the pump and spliced back together.

Attachments

• Photo143.jpg
    Photo143.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo145.jpg
    Photo145.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo144.jpg
    Photo144.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

ok.. for some more bad news. i got to looking at the reservor on the power trim and on the reservor itslef the bolt that holds on the pump is stripped. can you even buy a replacement reservor for these too? or am i better off just finding a whole used power trim assembly on ebay ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might tell us year and HP of that motor. It is hard to help...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, If the threads on the body are stripped, I would think you want to drill our and install a thread insert, or drill and tap oversize.

I would think ARCO will make a motor for that application.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

You need to contact this person on ebay...the guys ebay handle is fuller4099 he has all kinds of replacement parts for these older pumps/systems...you can get a good used reservoir for that pump for about $30 from that guy...he probably even has the bolt sets for mounting the motor back on the reservoir....