Got my boat/OB/trailer registered in Missouri today

archcityBob

Seaman
I had a day off work today so I had a cavity filled, stopped by my insurance agent and then went downtown (St. Louis) and got the boat/OB/trailer registered, titled and stickers today.

I had a signed title for the boat and Illinois title for a homemade trailer from the seller in Illinois. I typed up a bill of sale that listed the boat, OB and trailer with title/VIN/HIN numbers and the model/serial number of the OB.

After a 20 minute wait at the DMV I told the lady behind the window that I bought a boat/trailer/OB in Illinois and need to get the titles transferred and registration decals. I had all my paperwork in order and she knew what to do. She was happy that I had filled the three forms out online and printed them. It saved her having to hand write everything. It still took about 30 or 45 minutes. She asked about a title for the OB. I told her that Illinois does not title OBs, then gave her the bill of sale. I'm glad she accepted that. I was a little worried about not having a title for the OB. Also the trailer says Homemade, and I don't think it is. But I did have the Illinois title. She gave me trailer plate and said they will mail me the MO titles soon.

So it all went smoothly. It helped that I was friendly and polite about the wait. While processing my paperwork some guy came in, swearing and constantly trying to cut in front of other people. Then while waiting he kept insulting the employees. When he was finally waited on they took his money and paperwork and told him he had to come back next week to get the license plates. I'm not sure what he was doing, but I think that was the DMV's method of dealing with a**holes.

It cost $250 all together. But half of that was sales tax.

The insurance on an $1800 boat is $46 per year. (Yes. Forty Six dollars.) This gives me theft/loss/liability. When I pass a Coast Guard boating course I'll get some type of a discount.

Next step is to get hull stickers and remove the old ones. (I've already searched Remove Stickers on iboats :) ) Plus I want to order two new wheels and use these as spares. Then there is buying the trolling motor, charger, battery, fishfinder, etc.

Oh well, see you on the water!

~Bob

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Got my boat/OB/trailer registered in Missouri today

Almost sounds like the trip to the dentist was less stressfull :). I am in Kansas and it is easy for us. We just go down to the Wildlife and Parks and pay our $31 for a 3 year sticker. The trailer only needs a tag if it is over 2000lbs capacity. No sales tax on person to person sales and no property tax if the purchase price was less that $700 (or $750, I can't remeber) per line item (boat,motor,trailer is a seperate line item). I am not trying to brag so please don't take it the wrong way. I know we pay more in car and home property taxes over here or atleast we used too.

archcityBob

Seaman

Luckily I got a DMV lady who knew what she was doing. In fact I'm thinking about sending an email to her department complimenting her on the fine job she did. (In downtown St. Louis they don't register that many boats. )

All the advice I've read on iboats helped a lot. After reading about other peoples problems with title work I made sure that I got titles when I paid for the boat. Also I was ready with all my paperwork.
We just go down to the Wildlife and Parks and pay our $31 for a 3 year sticker.
For some reason this reminds me of a post on the Craigslist thread about someone who said to go to a baitshop for the title. :)

Jimalee2000

Recruit

So glad you enjoyed your day. I am in Indiana. I went and registered/licensed my boat/trailer. 1st they sent me home with a paper to get sheriff to come out and do vin ck. Called Sheriff they said to call back when I could be home all day waiting. (boats from IL) Then called DNR and within 2hrs he was there. I went back to BMV and was turn away cause my address had changed 2#'s (moved 2 doors down). Went to car found a flyer with name n address went back in and they told me no had to be "mailed" to me from a bill etc. So went back to the car got lucky had a receipt/bill I just got. Went back in and had to write two affidavits regarding how much I "claimed" to pay for boat and trailer 1ea. Then got all signed was told would be about 100.00. No such luck.. it was 194.00 when said and done. that was for a $350.00 setup (claimed) on a 1976 17' Larson! Dang thank goodness I didnt by something that was serious money! They said next year expect 100.00 est to renew! I think next time I will see the dentist first.. would've been easier.