1989 evinrude tracker outboard runs good for 20 to 30 seconds then loses power

1989tracker

Cadet
I have a 1989 evinrude outboard that came on my tracker i bought. When i first get to the water and start it up i can run up to about 75 % throttle and it will run good for about 30 seconds then the motor starts missing out then loses power. sometimes it will die at this point. after i restart it i can only get 25% throttle and the motor runs rough. i can have my throttle pushed down 25% of the way or 100% of the way and the motor will stay at the same throttle. when i slow the throttle the motor will give a little extra power at certain points. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Also when i start the motor i have to use starting fluid evertime i start it for the first time of the day and occasionally after it has not ran for a while when im on the water. If anyone has any help please let me know! Thanks for reading

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 evinrude tracker outboard runs good for 20 to 30 seconds then loses power

Welcome to iboats!

First off, never use starting fluid to start a 2 cycle. This will ruin a motor.:(
Sounds like your motor is running on one cylinder.
What make, year and HP is your motor?

1989tracker

Cadet
Re: 1989 evinrude tracker outboard runs good for 20 to 30 seconds then loses power

Yikes! thanks for the advice. i just bought the boat and have only had it out three times but the previous owner had told me to use starting fluid so obviously he didnt know what he was talking about. It is a 1989 evinrude tracker 60 hp te60tlcea

1989tracker

Cadet

Could this possibly be from clogged up carbs? or maybe coils or power pack? why does the motor run good for a short time then slow to a lower rpm? could this be bad piston rings? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral

Could be all of the above, troubleshooting is the process of elimination.
I'd do a compression test, its been abused long enough to have internal damage.
Then a spark test with a $10 adjustable gap tester from any auto store..
Then rebuild all the carbs with new kits.
Change the gear oil, look for milky oil, use new seals on drain screws.
Get the factory service book.
www.outboardbooks.com

1989tracker

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. While searching for my service manual they only have one for the model # E60TLCE and my model # is TE60TLCEA. would this be the same for my outboard?

jonesg

Admiral

Check that the tank is venting, it could be developing a vacuum in the tank if clogged,
that would allow it to run a short while then lean it out.

1989tracker

Cadet

The gas tank is vented and there is no difference in performance when i squeeze the bulb while running at lower rpm.

1989tracker

Cadet

i was also told that the powerhead was replaced or rebuilt 3 years ago. hopefully they werent lying.

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks for the tips. While searching for my service manual they only have one for the model # E60TLCE and my model # is TE60TLCEA. would this be the same for my outboard?

The Prefix T means its a tracker model.
i guess that is Bass Tracker, don't know if it means anything besides paint or logos on the cowl.
If you can find a factory manual for E60TLCE grab it.!

1989tracker

Cadet

i ordered a manual off ebay for a 1989 evinrude outboard but it covers the model number E60TLES and my model is E60TLCE. Everything i have seen so far looks to be the same as my motor but do you think i should try to get a manual that is specifically for my motor?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

That one should do fine if it is a OEM manual. That is the best one to buy.