Evinrude 120 stalls out- link and sync?

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an Evinrude 4-cylinder 120hp 1994. The engine ran poorly, stalling, coughing. I thought is was a carb issue so I cleaned all carbs twice over, then determined that it was the power pack. When I replaced the powerpack it ran great out of the water, but in the water stalled at idle. This was back in September. I just put the boat back in and it started, but billowed thick brown/white smoke and typically would stall out suddenly in about 3-5 seconds.

I thought maybe I had messed up the idle jets. When I reset them to 2.5 turns, I had a dramatic reduction of smoke.

BUT I can't get it to idle. It starts great and runs smoothly for about 2-3 seconds, then suddenly drops speed and stalls out.

Does this sound like just a link and sync operation?

thanks in advance

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 120 stalls out- link and sync?

Compression ?
What is the idle rpm on the hose?
did you try fresh fuel?
got a water seperator?
Did you draw some fuel and let it settle to test for seperation.?
Try a spark test?

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

compression is good
spark is good
I replaced the water seperator before the last trip

I will look for water in the fuel and try fresh fuel. Now that would be an easy fix.

Anybody know what a link and sync should cost (ball park) if I break down and have someone do it?

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

order a manual, and borrow/buy a timing light. link n sync is very easy, but you have to follow the steps in the manual.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tested the fuel and there is no separation- No water in the fuel. I hooked up new fuel to it and it still runs the same way. So I don't think its the fuel.

Reading the link and sync directions: it sounds like it should be more or less running to make the adjustments. But mine will not idle at all. Can I still do the link and sync?

I think I have made a mistake. I thought the screw above the carb opening (tapered with a spring) was the variable idle jet. How many turns out should those be? I normally never took those out during a carb cleaning, but I did this time. Maye they are contributing to my problem?

thanks...

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

Set it on the rich side, they will always run rich but can't run if too lean.