Fuel tank and batteries

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've always been told that these two don't mix. However in my bass boat I have a bank of three batteries snugged up tight to my tank. I going to up grade this compartment and would like any suggestions. The compartment is well vented. The tank is well vented to the aft exterior. There are a couple of bulge pumps below. I'm always in there with the battery charger and to be quite frank it scares me a little. The boat is a 16fter with no other compartments big enough for batteries.
Photos:

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Fuel tank and batteries

That is pretty common. The tank should be vented to outside the hull and all connections tight and not leaking. So as long as all that is good there is no worry. Also make sure the batteries are secured and not rubbing against the tank.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Couldn't hurt to install a bilge blower and run it a couple of minutes before connecting the battery charger.

gss036

Commander

My only added comment is: Always hook up the battery connections w/care as they tend to spark and then plug in the charger. Both battery and gas fumes can explode.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get a couple of good boxes and mount them to a nice mahogany board and try not to worry.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The only thing I would suggest is a set of "proper" battery tie downs. I would NOT trust a bungee on a battery.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have that same set up in my fish n ski. It worries me a little sometimes when i'm charging the battery. All i did was buy some plastic battery boxes from wal mart and mounted them to the boat with four SS screws so the batterys wont bounce around and rub on the gas tank. Mine has good ventilation and i also have cowl vents on the back. Before i start the motor or fill it up with gas i always open the hatch and check for leaks and let it vent for a bit just for some peace of mind.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Install a set of remote battery posts for charging purposes.
like shown here:
http://pitstopusa.com/c-132363-electrical-system-battery-battery-charging-posts.html

Install them in the upper portion of your splash well or transom, etc.

Then you do not have to open the battery compartment.
And you do not have to worry so much about making a spark.
And they come in handy for using other 12volt equipment on a temporary basis.
If you use heavy enough cables to the battery, you can use them to jump start too.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent idea. I didn't know they made such heavy duty remote ends. I'm going to set up a pair on my camper also. I agree on the bungees. I'll use nylon straps.