Which 25 hp 4 stroke outboard/power trim?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Just wondering if anybody has had overall good or bad experiences with any brand 25 4 stroke outboard. My dad had an 02 Yammie he loved but it was stolen last year. Right now it seems prices on the mercs are a little cheaper. I'd assume they're all about the same but it never hurts to ask you guys. Dealers are recommending that he get power trim also. I laughed about that at first but I wonder if there is some merit to it as he isn't getting any younger. The motor will be used on a 16 foot aluminum utility boat. Thanks for any and all advice.

D

DJ

Re: Which 25 hp 4 stroke outboard/power trim?

Pick one from a dealer you like and trust, regardless of brand.

And, yes, once you have power trim and tilt, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

RRitt

Captain

20HP engines hover around 110Lbs while 25HP cluster around 160Lbs. If you drop to 20Hp or get an older 2-stroke then you may not need power trim. When I was shopping just last month for an outboard, the Honda family seemed to put together the best "loaded" package. I got an electric start honda with power trim for just under $3K. Tohatsu/Mercury/Nissan had great price/performance in the base package but its price edge quickly faded as you added features. It could be that your dad doesn't want to do any maintenance and the best outboard is the one with the best local authorized warranty provider.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I haven't priced Honda yet. The boat is rated for a 40, it did well with a 25 but I don't know if 20 would be enough. That's a pretty considerable weight difference though, and a nice price break vs 25s.

WN2712NJ

Seaman

For Tohatsu/Merc/Nissan (and probably others) the 20HP and 25HP motors are totally different beasts, the 20 being the most powerful (notice I did not say largest) of the 2 cylinders, and the 25 being the least powerful of the 3 cylinder motors. Giant weight difference as a result... For a boat rated for 40, I would go "larger" than 25, since a 30 or 35 is probably the same motor as the 25, just not hobbled by a rev limiter, small carb, or whatever. Just my opinion.

-dm

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for smaller motors I'd go with the 2 stroke. But I'm old-fashioned that way. And i typically wouldn't get PTT on a small motor, especially a tiller steer, but no harm in it; it's only money and it's not like they're going to stop printing it. Same with electric start; I don't see it as needed on 25 hp and less, and keeps everything simpler, cheaper and lighter. Certainly, though, it's not a "right or wrong" thing; just don't let a dealer tell you it is.

WN2712NJ

Seaman

for smaller motors I'd go with the 2 stroke. But I'm old-fashioned that way. And i typically wouldn't get PTT on a small motor, especially a tiller steer, but no harm in it; it's only money and it's not like they're going to stop printing it. Same with electric start; I don't see it as needed on 25 hp and less, and keeps everything simpler, cheaper and lighter. Certainly, though, it's not a "right or wrong" thing; just don't let a dealer tell you it is.

The PTT and electric start thing depends on who will be operating the motor. I've got a 9.9HP Merc Pro Kicker with both electric start and PTT. Anyone in the family can operate it, but it is one heavy son of a gun (125 pounds or so for 10HP!). My 20HP Tohatsu actually weight slighly less (same block and no PTT) but the females in the family and Grandpa can't operate it. Just too much weight to swing up while leaning out the back of a small boat. And I'm sure that they can't pull start a 20HP.

-dm

sublauxation

Lieutenant

it's only money and it's not like they're going to stop printing it.

Still laughing from that one. Sounds like the 25 yamaha has a carb but next year will be fuel injected. Anybody think it's worth waiting for EFI? I had an old 8HP johnson that was tempermental when starting, electric start would have been a dream. Tilt and trim seem excessive but that's coming from a guy who's yet to send a text message and still owns a dumb phone.

RRitt

Captain

Still laughing from that one. Sounds like the 25 yamaha has a carb but next year will be fuel injected. Anybody think it's worth waiting for EFI? I had an old 8HP johnson that was tempermental when starting, electric start would have been a dream. Tilt and trim seem excessive but that's coming from a guy who's yet to send a text message and still owns a dumb phone.

im a carb fan myself. Until gas hits $50 a gallon the cost of fixing the injectors is more than I'll ever save in gas.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The injectors make the 2 stroke motor meet or exceed carb requirements.
The Etec 25 and 30 are 147lbs and available with full trim and tilt.
Of course heavier w t&t.