1990 sea ray 180 4.3

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying a 1990 sea ray 180 bowrider with a 4.3 mercruiser. I went and looked at the boat today and it seems pretty nice. The interior is a little dirty but no tears or rips just some dirt that easily could probably be cleaned. He said there was a soft spot but he replaced both the wood and carpet and showed it to me and seems to be ok. I have the guy talked down to a selling price of $2500, let me know what you guys think. Anybody with info that had a similar boat would be great. Thanks!

Preston373

Recruit
Re: 1990 sea ray 180 4.3

I bought a 1990 sea ray 190BR w/ 5.7 last spring. I paid $4300 It's a constant maintenance with an older boat. Keep in mind if he had a soft spot, there is more. Over time these boats got left out in the rain, the factory covers don't fit water tight. I have been fighting soft spots and wood rot behind the backrests and a seats. All in all... it's a great running boat, and interior is clean, and that's why I bought it. For $2500, it's not a big investment. Any repairs are minor, sea ray hull is solid. If it starts up right away, seems to purr... and gears don't grind when put in to gear, you MIGHT be safe. It's a gamble. If you are handy and good with tools, you can handle it. If you can, put it in the water and test it. If not, maybe you can fill it with water to check for leaks. Mine has a leak and I need to find and fix it before this season. I think it's the motor to outboard seal. Never tackled anything like this. Wish me luck! P.S. make sure you bilge pump works before you put it in the water!!!

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 1990 sea ray 180 4.3

Boat was never intended to be submerged - water will get into places that it can't get out of, leading to excess weight and accelerated rot.

Would you fill your car with water to check for leaks around the doors and windows:eek: