Mercarb rebuild question

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Item: 1989 Mercarb 2 (the one with the larger accelerator pump) off of a 3.0l GM.<br /><br />When tearing it down for a rebuild, I got to the step where you remove the accelerator pump, and my manual spoke and diagrammed 4 parts that were not in my carb. Pump return spring, check ball retainer clip, strainer, and check ball. The rebuild kit diagrams and has parts for an alternate assembly that has the accelerator pump assy, and all parts listed above except the strainer. My carb only had the accelerator pump assy in it. No spring, check ball, strainer, none of it.<br /><br />Question: when I put it all back together, do I need to include the parts that were not present in my carb? Has anyone else encountered this?<br /><br />Thanks in Advance

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercarb rebuild question

hello<br /> without being able to see your casting its hard to say. did the carb ever work correctly that you know of?<br /> if it did reinstall only what you removed. the kit fits many many versions of the mercarb. not all pieces will be used on all carbs.<br /> good luck and keep posting

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercarb rebuild question

man that was a fast reply. yes, the carb worked fine before my bilge flooded, and the carb got submerged...this is the first I cracked it open since then.<br /><br />thanks rodbolt.