To buy, or not to buy?

soldier side

Cadet
Came across a 1982 searay 20ft w/trailer with bad interior and a blown 260hp I/O engine, for $600, anyone know what this would go for fixed up, or if it's even worth my time/money?

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To buy, or not to buy?

I would think more money and time than what she will ever give back

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats :)

the rule of thumb on re building a boat is if the motor/drive is shot.....dont do it.

you seem to be asking the question from an investment point of view.
standard time spent on a full hull/gut/rebuild....less motors and drives is about 300 hours

the standard cost for a hull rebuild alone not including the interior is 2k.
motors and drives....6-7k

so......if you want to spend between 8-9k on a rebuild not including the interior and spend 300 man hours for a 5k boat......
its your call :D

boats are not an investment unless you can buy stupid cheep.
i mean an 05' 30 footer for $2500
if you are looking for an investment...you half to buy allmost new but needs repair like a hurricane boat or simelar......otherwise.....its just money going into a large hole in the water...

why do we do it you ask???....
we love boats
we want a project
because we are emotionally attached to the boat.

other than that its just becuase we are just plain crazy :D

jonesg

Admiral

Came across a 1982 searay 20ft w/trailer with bad interior and a blown 260hp I/O engine, for $600, anyone know what this would go for fixed up, or if it's even worth my time/money?

Not a bad price if you only need a trailer.
Tell the seller to get that peice of junk off it first.:)

soldier side

Cadet

other than that its just becuase we are just plain crazy :D
Think that's best quote I've seen on here.
as far as the boat in question goes though, the hull, deck, trailer, etc are in great shape, just need carpet, seats, and the engine. the outdrive is still in good shape too. would it be possible/more cost effective to drop a car motor that i happen to have sitting around into this boat and just hook it to the outdrive? engine is a '85 chevy 350 w/4 barrel carb. lobe style fuel pump.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Think that's best quote I've seen on here.
as far as the boat in question goes though, the hull, deck, trailer, etc are in great shape, just need carpet, seats, and the engine. the outdrive is still in good shape too. would it be possible/more cost effective to drop a car motor that i happen to have sitting around into this boat and just hook it to the outdrive? engine is a '85 chevy 350 w/4 barrel carb. lobe style fuel pump.

I'm not an inboard guy, but I can tell you with great confidence there is a LARGE difference between the 350 Chevy for a car and a 350 for Marine use. The torque curve is different, water pump and cooling system is different, electrical system is much different (your car engine has lots of ventilation that the marine engine doesn't have, sparks, sparks). I'm sure some others will chime in here, but the bottom line, the engine from your car isn't the engine you need for your boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you have a Worst Enemy, Call him, and tell him you know where he Get a GREAT deal on a Boat with a Blown Engine!!!!:eek:

Friscoboater

Captain

Run away from this as fast as you can. Also do not put an automotive engine in that boat. You must have brass freeze plugs, a correct distributor and carb... the list goes on. Also if the interior is bad, that means neglect. If they neglected it, you can be assured that there is rot.

soldier side

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, think ill steer clear. but if anyone wants a trailer ill send the link for the add :D