1971 Merc 110 (9.8 hp) carb not sucking gas

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just needing some help thinking through this.. maybe second opinions on what to look for or "how to". It's getting gas to the bowl. As long as I dribble gas into the carb throat it runs like new. Even if I pump the bulb it doesn't help. It runs the same even with the top off the carb bowl. Obviously the problem is in getting the fuel from the bowl into the carburator. I've cleaned the jets and ports and when I use WD-40 with it's straw the oil goes into the bowl and carb throat if squirted into the jet. This leaves me to think the base gasket is leaking. I just put a brand new base gasket on. Not very likely the base gasket is leaking but would like to figure out an easy way to determine if the problem is clogged fuel circuit or leaking base gasket... or what else I should be looking for that I'm missing. If I can figure this out and fix it then I've got 3 more old motors doing the same thing....and yep, I've been in their carbs too...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Merc 110 (9.8 hp) carb not sucking gas

Look at the reeds.Check the compression.Rebuild the pump.J

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Reeds great. Fuel pump pulses fuel excellently (bowl stays full of fuel).

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Randy I replied to your original thread to help you with the carb, some stuff to check, especially the orifice air tube- screw head top of the carb. Could be incorrect float setup too.

Is it a black float or old cork style?